Shop What You Got: How To Make The Most Of What’s Already In Your Closet
daricloset 101010 m jpg
1 of 5
This week I helped a friend rediscover her own closet. By cleaning out, reorganizing, and then “shopping” her closet, we were able to put together a bunch of new outfits. Sometimes taking stock of your preexisting wardrobe can save you from buying something new because you shop what you already have! Here are some tips:
- Start with a clean slate -- take everything out of your closet.
- Weed out everything that needs to be repaired -- or chucked.
- Designate sections of your closet, for instance, “work” and “play.”
- Divide your clothing into categories, i.e., tops, skirts, blazers, etc.
- Put clothing back into your closet, utilizing designated sections and categories.
- Give prime real estate to your tops. Nine out of 10 times a top is the first item you pick for an outfit.
- No wire hangers! Ever!
- Grab a friend and a bottle of wine and start playing dress-up! Keep a camera handy to catch the outfits you come up with.
After the jump, check out four brand-new outfits that we came up with using her own clothes!