This whole chicken is roasted with a Moroccan seasoning blend, sweet preserved lemons and spicy harissa, a Moroccan chili paste. I operate a food blog called Partial Ingredients and the link to this recipe is here.
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 whole 4 lb chicken, cleaned and trussed
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 preserved lemon, rinsed and sliced thin
1 tablespoon harissa
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix the paprika, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. With a towel, dry the chicken and rub with the olive oil. In a shallow pan, pat the whole chicken with the dry spices. Loosen the skin and rub in the spices under the skin and into the body cavity.
3. Put the preserved lemon slices under the skin and around the chicken. Pour in the chicken stock.
4. Spread the Harissa and honey onto the chicken evenly.
5. Let sit for 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
6. In a preheated 375F oven roast the chicken for 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170F.