Reader Recipes: 3 Awesome Pasta Dishes!
Allison: Baked Spaghetti
This is a dish originally made by my mother before she died, and is one of my father's favorite dishes. It is one of my favorites, as well. Baked Spaghetti is a dish that you make for the people you love -- and it is designed to feed a crowd. I would also go so far as to call it a man-catcher recipe, as any man that eats it will fall instantly in love with you and your skills as a domestic goddess. This recipe is also not for the faint of heart or those with tiny appetites -- it is hearty Midwestern fare (as you can tell by the gratuitous amount of cheese, and cream of mushroom soup), and makes phenomenal leftovers, which I usually enjoy for breakfast the next day.
1 (16 oz) package of Spaghetti or Linguini
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. basil
2 tsp. onion powder
1 can (14.5) can of diced tomatoes
1 1lb bag of Mexi-blend cheese
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1/3 - 1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook pasta as directed. Drain. Set aside.
3. In a frying pan, cook hamburger, drain fat, leaving a small amount in pan to cook onions.
4. Add onions to hamburger. Saute until translucent, 3-5 minutes.
5. Add garlic, oregano, basil, and onion powder to hamburger mixture. Cook 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant.
6. Add tomatoes and liquid to hamburger mixture. Cook another 2 minutes until heated through. Remove from heat.
7. Cover the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish with approximately 1/2 of the cooked pasta.
8. Cover the pasta with approximately 1/2 of the hamburger mixture.
9. Cover the hamburger mixture with approximately 1/2 of the shredded Mexi-blend cheese.
10. Repeat steps 7 and 8.
11. In a separate bowl, mix the soup with the water. Pour evenly over meat and pasta.
12. Cover with remaining Mexi-blend cheese. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
13. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes until cheese starts to bubble and crisp. Serve and enjoy.
Serving suggestion: Serve with garlic bread (yum!), a salad (to cancel out the cheese), and a big glass of your favorite wine.