Zergnet: Simply Irresistible
When we first read about Dutch designer Jeroen van de Kant’s Chesterfield-style seats and sofas, our first reaction was — blow-up chairs? I’m much closer to 30 years old than 20, no thanks. (Oh, and the steep price tag ain’t so pretty either.) But the inflatable seats did prove one thing: that temporary furniture need not be fugly. Check out these other here-today, gone-tomorrow (maybe?) home pieces…
America is a nation obsessed with other people’s lives. A visitor glancing at our magazine and newspaper racks or flipping through TV channels immediately knows where our priorities lie, and it’s not with dissecting world politics. Instead, we hunt for news about the latest troubled starlet and watch other people’s lives unfold via reality TV shows. Keep reading »
When I walked into Intermix the other day, I was happy to see some fall merch already on the shelves. (Best/most exciting shopping season!) Nestled in among the racks, however, were peasant tops. Lots of them, just like this girly Elizabeth & James blouse. Looks like this trend has officially resurfaced. You’ll also find lots of flowy tops right now on Shopbop.com by labels like Patterson J. Kincaid, Joie, Torn by Ronny Kobo, and Rebecca Taylor. While several of those designers have put out California-style looks in the past, it would seem that they’re really returning to draped shapes, flower patterns, and a boho aesthetic that reaches less for hippie than it does Euro-chic.
So what do you think? Wish peasant tops would return to the trend graveyard? Or think they should be a wardrobe staple? Keep reading »
Geez, is Eminem still thinking about that time back in freaking 2001 when he “dated” Mariah Carey? Here’s the short version of the story: After this hookup heard round the world, Eminem dedicated his song “Puke” to Mariah in 2005. Nick Cannon, Mariah’s husband, wrote on his website, “I’m going to make you wish you never spoke my name and regret the ungodly things you said about my wife.” Then Mariah shot back in her video for “Obsession” in May, where a faux Eminem in a hoodie stalks her. Now Eminem has taken this feud to a whole new level with “The Warning.” Take a listen above. (Headphones on, as it’s likely NSFW.) Here’s a sampling of the ultra-classy lyrics:
“Mariah, it ever occur to you that I still have pictures? However you prefer to do and goes for you too, Nick, f*ggot/ You think I’m scared of you? You gonna ruin my career you better get one/ Like I’ma sit and fight with you over some slut bitch c**t who made me put up with her psycho ass over 6 months and only spread her legs to let me hit once.”
Gross, Eminem. Gross. How is this beef still going on? All this happened over eight years ago. Is this really the only way these two can generate press? Keep reading »
- The unidentified mother of Jude Law‘s fourth child could be “Home Improvement” reject Samantha Burke. There are also rumors that Kayleen McAdams, little sister of Rachel McAdams, could be the mother. [Dlisted] — How many women has this guy hooked up with unprotected in the last seven months? The world may never know.
- Joshua and Anna Duggar have revealed the name of the latest edition to their always growing family — Mackynzie Renee. [People] — So does this mean all their children will have “M” names?
Russian airline Aeroflot, which is known for its sketchy planes, disgusting food, and bad service, is getting a makeover. At least, their flight attendants are. The company’s new boss said he is only going to hire “very eye-catching girls.” Also, women who are larger than a size 10 need not apply. [Daily Mail]
We feel bad for these women, but, apparently, things aren’t much better on other airlines. If you think being a flight attendant is glamorous you are way behind the curve. Keep reading »
Seth Rogen: “['The Ugly Truth'] looks like it really puts women on a pedestal in a beautiful way.”
Judd Apatow: “I hear there’s a scene where she’s wearing… underwear… with a vibrator in it, so I’d have to see if that was uplifting for women.”
Rogen: “I gotta say, it’s not like we’re the only people she said some bats**t crazy things about. That’s kind of her bag now.”
–The star and director of “Funny People” on Katherine Heigl‘s hypocrisy in an interview with Howard Stern. Heigl famously told Vanity Fair that she thought “Knocked Up” (the Apatow film that she starred in alongside Rogen) “painted women as shrews.” Keep reading »
- Here’s a shocker: Feminists don’t actually hate men. A study published by the Psychology of Women Quarterly found that people who cheerlead for traditional gender roles, not feminists, reportedly have the most negative attitudes about the menfolk. [Feministing] — However, further study is required on why feminists won’t shave their hairy armpits, burn their bras, and have no sense of humor.
- Billie Jean King, one of the first openly gay athletes, and Harvey Milk, the gay civil rights leader upon whom the film Milk was based, will be recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. [San Francisco Chronicle]—So will Sen. Ted Kennedy, presumably for his role in helping the Obamas pick their new puppy, Bo.
- Despite opposition from the Vatican, Italy’s drug agency ruled yesterday that hospitals can give women RU-486, the abortion pill. Italy will not allow RU-486 to be sold at drugstores, however. [Guardian]—So if a woman wants to terminate a pregnancy with the abortion pill in Italy, she has to check into a hospital? Doesn’t that totally negate the point of RU-486, which was to allow women to have an abortion in the privacy of her own home? Color us confused.
George Clooney usually has a thing for cocktail waitresses (like his ex, Sarah Larson), but his new girlfriend is someone he can actually discuss his “craft” with. Clooney met Italian actress Elisabetta Canalis when he was in Rome and he immediately began wooing her, taking her on romantic jaunts to his villa on Lake Como. So far, we think Canalis is rad. According to The Sun, Canalis once portrayed a nun who bared her breasts in the film “Virgin Territory.” Lest you think she is a one-trick pony, she also had a role in “Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo,” and currently hosts the Italian version of MTV’s “Total Request Live.” Will this Italian beauty be the one to nab Clooney’s fickle heart? [The Sun] Keep reading »
Several folks have noted that Sarah Palin‘s words kinda sound like poetry. But William Shatner seems to believe that on a whole ‘nother lever. On Monday night, Shatner did a spoken word performance as only the master of sexy slow talk can do, and on Wednesday’s Conan O’Brien, he recited some of Palin’s tweets, proving he needed no more than 140 words to create a performance masterpiece. Oh, oh. I hope this obsession leads to romance. I would vote Palin for president if William Shatner were her vice president slash lovah. More after the jump… Keep reading »