Gonorrhea is one of the most commonly sexually transmitted diseases (STD), with about 700,000 people being infected each year in the United States. In 2006, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 120.9 per 100,000 people in the U.S. were infected with gonorrhea. With that in mind, here’s five things you need to know about the disease.
1. Gonorrhea is normally spread through sexual activity. The bacteria grow in warm areas of the reproductive track, especially the cervix, urethra, uterus, anus, and fallopian tubes. Gonorrhea can be found in both women and men, and therefore is spread through vaginal, oral, and anal intercourse.
2. Many people infected with gonorrhea don’t know they’re infected, and that’s why it’s so easily spread! The symptoms of gonorrhea are very mild and sometimes absent in both men and women, making them perfect carriers for the disease. The most common symptoms of gonorrhea are a burning sensation and pain during urination, and vaginal/penile discharge. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact a doctor immediately to be tested to avoid further spreading of the disease, because Gonorrhea also has long-term effects on those who don’t seek early treatment. It’s a common cause of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, which causes pain in the abdomen and fever. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease also can cause infertility in women. Those infected with gonorrhea are more likely to contract HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. Lastly, pregnant women infected with gonorrhea can spread the disease to their newborn baby. Gonorrhea in newborns can cause blindness and life-threatening blood infections. Keep reading »
Makeup brushes are expensive, but they get clotted with your foundation and shadows so quickly. Don’t bother replacing your stash every time they get too dirty to use, just clean them. We tell you how to do it without ruining the bristles after the jump… Keep reading »
Last night on “Dancing With The Stars,” the contestants had to dance the Rumba, a romantic dance that was difficult for shy, virginal 17-year-old Shawn Johnson to embrace, especially after her partner Marc Ballas got a boner (click after the jump to check it out!) during their live routine a couple weeks ago. Not to worry, though — Marc had a plan to help her relax and imagine herself in love with him! Since Shawn will likely miss her own prom this year if she continue with the competition, Marc surprised her with an impromptu prom one day last week. He filled their rehearsal room with balloons and a disco ball, wore a tux and wide grin, and handed Shawn a skin-tight, flesh-colored gown — you know, just what every teenage girl wants from a dude who got a boner for her on national TV! “I wanted to recreate the prom so it could help us get in the character of the dance,” Marc explains. He doesn’t mention how he recreated an after-prom, but after watching their Rumba last night, I think it’s safe to say the gown stayed on.
Keep reading »
So you want a puffier pout without the splurge of surgery. No problem. Besides, with all of the time you’ll save sans recovery, you’ll have plenty to sport your new pucker. Keep reading »
Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling seem to be nuzzling noses at the party for Tori’s new book, Mommywood. Maybe there’s a lesbian storyline coming up on “90210″? [Hollywood, 4/13/09] Keep reading »
Sure they’re not throbbing, puss-filled pimples, but they are only one step away from becoming the zit of your worst nightmares. Blackheads are gunky little suckers that ruin perfectly good complexions. We’ve all got ‘em, and we are all dying to get rid of ‘em. Learn how, after the jump… Keep reading »
Nothing kills date night like showing up to dinner looking like you’ve got the herp. Cover your cold sore with our tips and tricks, gloss up, and wow your friday nighter. Keep reading »
It’s a plaid, plaid, plaid, plaid world! Or at least, it is for us when we see cute sundresses made hip by the preppy print. Go girly by accessorizing with a thick headband and pearls (so “Gossip Girl”), or make the look boho chic with some feather jewelry and braided sandals. “Check out” our cool picks…
1. Poofy sleeves and a collar make this dress super sweet. [$435, See by Chloe, ShopBop.com]
2. Wear this boyish shift alone or over pants.[$128, Modern Amusement, Saks.com]
3. The drawstring on this scoopneck can be worn loose or tight for several body types. [$58, Kimchi Blue, Urbanoutfitters.com]
4. This triple-button dress makes us want to go on a picnic. [$44.50, Delia's, Delias.com] Keep reading »