Ahh, humpday. Time to woman-up for the remainder of the week and take solace in the fact that while you have to be at work, the only people that care to gossip about you are hovering around the water cooler pointing at you right now. You could be famous and getting pummeled by the rumor mill on a weekly basis! Here are the highlights from the tabloids this week. Keep reading »
Former child actor Gary Coleman is promoting Canada’s New York Fries in a series of print ads and a Facebook application. I’m really embarrassed for him, but I guess he has to support himself somehow. Right? [8/12/09] Keep reading »
Who doesn’t want local, fresh vegetables—especially when those veggies are, like, from your backyard local. Just because you don’t have hours of free time to slave away in the dirt and blazing sun, doesn’t mean you can’t follow Mrs. O’s gardening lead. Behold, your very own roll out and grow garden kit. The Roll-Out Veg Mat is a cardboard roll with four different types of seed and organic fertilizer pre-sown in. You “plant” the roll as a whole, water it, and wait for veggies to make an appearance. The seed choices change as the seasons do so you’ll always have seasonal veggies. [Trendhunter] Keep reading »
I have a closet stuffed with clothes. Yet I have I-have-nothing-to-wear syndrome coupled with the sad realization that I wear only 25 percent of my wardrobe. However, that doesn’t seem to stop me from adding a half-dozen things every few months that usually end up with the other 75 percent of my collection. Apparently, I’m not the only one who wastes money on fashion! The Daily Mail reports that an astonishing 45 percent of swimwear purchased each year by U.K. women goes unworn, wasting the equivalent of about $470 million. It’s clear why swimsuits make for money wasters (stupid ladymag bikini body programs that you vowed to do, but didn’t). What else is going unused in your closet? The answers, after the jump.
Keep reading »
“American Idol” judge Simon Cowell is getting a huge raise. A year ago, he made a measly $36 million per season. Now, according to People, he’ll be taking home $45 mill a year. We find this particularly interesting because, as the New York Times reported today, one of the reasons Paula Abdul left “Idol”—besides resenting the fact that the network brought on Kara DioGuardi to be a second female judge and that her co-workers didn’t stand up for her during the drug-abuse allegations—was that they wouldn’t give her a raise from $3.5 million a year to $10 million a year. While Paula looks at other options, this got us thinking: How much do our favorite female television personalities make? And how do they stack up to Sir Simon’s mega paycheck? Keep reading »
Kim Kardashian made her post-break up hair appointment and is a blond now. It’s so true! You really gotta wash that man right outta our hair. Lookin’ good, girl! [Los Angeles, 8/11/09] Keep reading »
Of all the high-fashion, high-concept, high-flying September magazine covers out there, this is our fave. Behold the first-ever cover of Seventeen magazine, from September 1944, which will also be the subscription cover of their upcoming September issue for 2009 in honor of their 65th anniversary. We love that the cover model hasn’t changed: a young, pretty, all-American girl. But everything else has! Notice the single cover line? The first edition keeps it simple with “Young fashions & beauty, movies & music, ideas & people,” instead of the standard shtick you see on teen fashion magazines today. (“284 ways to change your look” — anyone?) The magazine was pretty cheap too, only $0.13. Today, it’s $2.99. [Chic Report] Keep reading »