Zergnet: Simply Irresistible
I finally caught up on the new season of “Top Chef Masters” last night and whoo boy! Curtis Stone! Don’t get me wrong, I will watch any and all incarnations of “Top Chef” as the show is amazing, but Curtis Stone as host is certainly sweetening the deal. I found myself drooling during every episode at both the food and Curtis. I’m sorry Tom Colicchio, you will always be my secret celebrity husband, but I am crushing on Curtis at the moment. Click through to see some more hunky hosts who make reality TV worth watching.
Pink, purple, or blue hair can be fun on occasion, but it’s not exactly practical for the average woman. But if you want the option to change your hair to an outrageous color temporarily, stylist Kevin Murphy has the answer. Eyeshadow! Kevin applies his ANTI.GRAVITY product, an oil-free volumizer and texturizer, to his model clients’ wet hair. Then, he blow dries the hair completely. The ANTI.GRAVITY acts as an adhesive for the eyeshadow. Then, he rubs the powder into the palms of his hands and works it through the hair in sections. He focuses on the top and front of the hair because the back and undersides don’t need as much attention. Kevin is also careful not to comb the eyeshadow through the hair, which will prevent the pigment from adhering. This is a cool and fun trick that also lets you get a bit dirty, but the color will be most noticeable on blond hair. Also, I think it would work best on straight hair, not kinky or curly. Take a look at Kevin’s instructional podcast, and let us know if you’d be willing to try a full head of pink hair or a section here or there. Keep reading »
Remember Morgan Spurlock? He’s the documentarian who lived on nothing but Big Macs and other McDonald’s fare for a month to show us the perils of fast food in “Super Size Me.” Well, Morgan is back with a new documentary, “The Greatest Movie Ever Sold,” which is all about the perils of product placement, not only in TV shows and movies but in real life. The big twist—the movie was actually funded by 15 companies who paid to have their products in the doc, despite the irony, including POM Wonderful, who shilled out $1 million for the top billing.
To promote this new movie, Morgan has come up with a pretty unique stunt. For the next 60 days, he has gotten the town of Altoona, Pennyslvania, to change its city name to “Pom Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold.” No, like for real. Keep reading »
You hear these stories from time to time about supremely unlucky people who find creatures camping out in their bathrooms. Didn’t someone find a python in their toilet? I like to tell myself that it’s an urban legend in order to self-soothe. But this news item, I cannot ignore. Florida woman, Alexis Dunbar, was beside herself when she discovered a 7-foot alligator had taken up residence in her guest bathroom. Apparently, the alligator had been stalking her cats as a possible food source and entered the house through the doggie door. She came home to find the gator hissing and hungry. NOT OK. Help me forget … please! [Huffington Post] Keep reading »
- Emma Watson posted a message to the media and her fans on her personal web site to say rumors she is leaving Brown because she was cruelly teased by students is untrue. “I have never been bullied in my life and certainly never at Brown. This ’10 points to Gryffindor’ incident [a "Harry Potter" reference that kids supposedly said when Emma answered a question correctly] never even happened,” Emma wrote. “I feel the need to say this because accusing Brown students of something as serious as bullying and this causing me to leave seems beyond unfair.” Emma said she’s not sure if she’ll be turning to Brown in the fall because she hasn’t decided yet and requested people stop speculating. [EmmaWatson.com]
- Lindsay Lohan’s community service at a women’s shelter might include teaching acting. Haven’t these poor women been through enough? [PopBytes]
- I’m sorry, but I just can’t get enough of the royal wedding’s frowning three-year-old bridesmaid, Grace van Cutsem! [PopEater]
We’ve got a quickie Today’s Lady News column today because Amelia and I were up at — yaaaawn — 4:45 a.m. liveblogging the royal wedding and we’re both pooped. Feel free to include your own news articles and blog posts for Today’s Lady News in the comments!
- Kate Middleton removed the word “obey” from her marriage vows today. Feministing’s Samhita Mukhopadhyay explains why — surprise! — that doesn’t really matter. [Guardian UK]
- The U.S. Department of Labor has included gender identity and pregnancy as protections under the department’s “equal opportunity” policy. [Pams House Blend]
- Are black women actually more likely than white women to be bulimics — despite the stereotypes of what we think a bulimic “looks like”? [The Root]
- Women would be held in handcuffs or otherwise restrained while giving birth in prison or jail, the Florida’s state Senate has decided. Jailed women can only be physically restrained if they pose a security risk. [Miami Herald]
- Women filmmakers and screenwriters took home big prizes at the Tribeca Film Festival! [Indie Wire]