Zergnet: Simply Irresistible
Guess what? It’s National Bike Week! If you read street style blogs, you’ve seen thousands of model-pretty girls riding bikes in high heels and flowy dresses with perfect hair cascading behind them. This is because people in the street style world don’t sweat, get their heels stuck in their bike pedals, or worry about the prospect of catastrophic brain injuries. In the real world, it’s a little tougher to look stylish and cool on a bike, but it can definitely be done, and the payoff — getting fit, breathing fresh air, saving the earth — is so worth it. Whether you’re biking to work or taking a lazy Sunday ride, here are five essential pieces that can transform almost any outfit into a bike-friendly one…
We knew there had to be something that wasn’t being said when Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver announced last week that they were splitting after 25 years of marriage. Now, the Los Angeles Times brings us the truth—Arnold recently told Maria that he had an affair years ago with a member of their household staff. And, uh, that he fathered a baby with her. Presumably a baby Maria knew well since this was a longtime staff member. “After leaving the governor’s office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago,” Arnold explained. “I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.” Keep reading »
The song “Falling Slowly,” from the movie “Once,” is one of the most romantic songs ever. (The Academy, which gave them the Oscar for Best Song, would certainly agree!) A lot of us squealed when we learned the actors Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová had a real-life relationship in addition to their big-screen courtship. Calling themselves The Swell Season, Glen and Marta have toured the world performing the same style of low-key folk music everyone loved from “Once.” Now The Swell Season has gotten their own documentary, also called—shocker—”The Swell Season,” that explores the musicians’ lives behind the movie that made them both famous. [YouTube] Keep reading »
In the post-”Sex and The City” age, the vibrator is de riguer. Celebrities like Halle Berry, Taylor Momsen, and basically every Spice Girl have gushed about the importance of vibes in interviews. Heck, Demi Moore even auctioned off her collection for charity. Recently, a study titled “Women Sex and Shopping” estimated that because of this trend, sales of toys will reach 400 million globally–outselling smart phones in the next decade.
But what about guys? Last week Amelia blogged about the sex toy double standard–the idea that male masturbation sleeves are “icky” while vibes are totally cool. (And yesterday, Hugo Schwyzer shared his perspective on guys using sex toys.) I’ve been guilty of the “ick” response too, but it is unfair to guys. It’s sort of like the male version of the Madonna/whore dichotomy—either you are a good, nice guy or you are robot who wants a hole to f**k.
But masturbation is healthy and experimenting with sex toys is one way to learn about your sexuality — positive things regardless of your gender. While male celebs are less vocal about their toy use, fleshlights are gaining popularity and one study showed that 45 percent of men use vibrators. In hopes of spreading the idea that sex toys are for dudes too, here are some male celebs who’ve either copped to using toys, or have been rumored to have vast collections.
- “Botox mom” Kerry Campbell, who injects Botox into her eight-year-old daughter Britney’s forehead to help her compete in beauty pageants, had her daughter removed by Child Protective Services. An all-around very sad story. [TMZ]
- Donald Trump has at last announced he won’t be running for president, praise be! “After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the Presidency. This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country,” Trump said in a statement. “I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election.” But Donald! You had the coveted Gary Busey endorsement! [TPM]
- Rihanna is following her abusive ex-boyfriend Chris Brown on Twitter. Hmm. What do we think about that? [PopEater]
- This weekend, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the head of the International Monetary Fund, was arrested in New York, minutes before his flight to France took off, for the alleged attempted rape of a hotel maid. The bigwhig in French politics allegedly sexually abused a 32-year-old maid who came into his room at the Sofitel hotel in NYC to clean; he allegedly attempted to rape her and forced her to perform oral sex on him. He has been charged with attempted rape, forcible touching, sexual abuse, and unlawful imprisonment, among other charges. Dominique Strauss-Kahn has been denied a $1 million bail. The lawyer for French journalist Tristane Banon also announced her intention to file sexual assault charges against Dominique dating back to an incident in 2002. [Guardian UK]
- Everyone wants to see movies with smart, strong and funny female characters succeed. But is “Bridesmaids” under too much pressure to make movie history? The fabulous feminist film critic Jenni Miller investigates. [Movies.com]