Hey, do you read Wired? I don’t (Catherine has a subscription), but I am taking notice of Wired now – the cover of their August issue is certainly a departure from covers’ past and I must admit I recognize the pretty face, though many of you may not. Under the headline “Internet Famous: Julia Allison and the Secrets of Self-Promotion”, the August cover features Julia Allison, an NYC-based blogger who, among other things, covers sex and relationships for Time Out New York. She was recently dubbed “the modern day Carrie Bradshaw” by The New York Times because she writes about her personal life on her blog. Allison just launched a new blog/web portal called NonSociety.com with her best friends Meghan Asha and Mary Rambin. Now it should go without saying that thanks to platforms like Word Press, Blogger, Tumblr, and Type Pad, everyone from your crazy next door neighbor to my Grandma can blog, but usually one doesn’t end up on the cover of a major magazine like Wired as a result. So what’s Allison doing there and why should you care? Keep reading »
We’ve had a ton of comments about Jim and Michelle Duggar, the couple with 17 children and another on the way. But they’re not the only couple spitting out kids like it’s their job — Alexandru and Livia Ionce, from Canada, just welcomed their 18th child, putting them just slightly ahead of the Duggars in the “who can have the most kids before their ovaries are all dried up” competition. Score one for Canada — Michelle, you’d better hope for twins! [DListed] Keep reading »
1. She & Him
2. The Ting-Tings
3. Vampire Weekend
4. The Jonas Brothers Keep reading »
Here’s a reminder of what’s nominated for Hottest Movie.
1. The Dark Knight Starring Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, & Gary Oldman
2. Sex & The City Starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristen Davis, Cynthia Nixon, & Chris Noth
3. Wall-E Starring…uh, well, an adorable Disney/Pixar robot.
4. The Wackness Starring Josh Peck, Olivia Thirlby, Sir Ben Kingsley, & Mary Kate Olson Keep reading »
The world’s oldest profession wants to finally go legit — the Erotic Service Providers Union (ESPU) in San Francisco is trying to protect their hard working membership, the Johns, and the Janes, by asking for the decriminalization of solicitation and prostitution. The city already has a unique First Offender Prostitution Program, which allows people arrested for soliciting sex the option to pay $1000 tuition fee for a graphic sexual health class. Frankly, it also has a pretty poor success rate for scaring attendees back into thinking the best things in life are free, but the ESPU is less concerned with curbing their clients’ desires. What the union really wants is to keep its workers safe, as many sex workers don’t report assaults or rapes because they’re afraid of being penalized for breaking the law with their profession. The ESPU has a bill on the ballot this fall that would decriminalize sex work in the city. They argue that when the pros have to sneak around to handle their business, it makes them exponentially more susceptible to abuse and exploitation. [Newsweek]
So what do you all think: should sex work be decriminalized (in San Francisco or anywhere else in the U.S.)? Keep reading »
France, bottled water’s native land, have started to drink tap water more regularly. According to The Guardian, more than 67 percent of French people say they regularly drink tap water “l’eau du robinet,” compared with 59 percent five years ago, and spring sales of bottled water like Evian, Volvic, and Vittel are down 6.7 percent from last spring. This is great considering how much energy and plastic is used to make water bottles, but can you imagine the chicest of the French carrying around aluminum water bottles? [The Guardian, U.K.] Keep reading »
1. Maggie Gyllenhaal Why She Made The List: After blowing everyone away in Secretary and Sherrybaby, she managed to save the role of Rachel Dawson in The Dark Knight from the hack job Katie Holmes did. Also, she named her daughter
Ruby Ramona, breast feeds in public and doesn’t care who complains, and is just generally bad ass.
2. Amanda Seyfried Why She Made The List: She’s adored as the oldest daughter on HBO’s Big Love, but who knew she could, you know, SING? She’s appearing as the lead in the movie version of the musical Mamma Mia!, singing all the tunes herself. Smashing, darling.
3. Liv Tyler Why She Made The List: Is there any actress more goddess-like than Liv? She’s been a favorite ever since she appeared in an Aerosmith music video, rocked the Italian countryside in Stealing Beauty, and warmed out hearts in Empire Records. Now she’s a big blockbuster draw in The Incredible Hulk.
4. Olivia Thirlby Why She Made The List: Easily one of the breakout stars of the year, Olivia portrayed the slang-smacking best friend in Juno and won the lead in the new movie The Wackness. She’s the next BIG THING, for sure. Keep reading »