Thanks to Hurricane Gustav, the Republican National Convention’s “will it or won’t it happen” debate, and Sarah Palin, the media didn’t get much of a holiday this Labor Day, did they? The latter — Sarah Palin, the Governor from Alaska chosen to be Senator John McCain’s running mate — was an especially hot topic this weekend as news broke nearly every hour it seemed with some new revelation. Having spent the weekend absorbing every ounce of coverage on Palin, I woke up this morning with the clear hunch that Palin may end up dropping out of the VP spot this week — but not wanting to rush to judgment, I decided to weigh the various pros and cons of her leaving the race. Place your bets in the comments! Keep reading »
Gossip Girl came back into our lives last night, and since the show is all about the couplings of characters, whether in friendship, love, or sex, here’s a rundown of what the duos were up to in last night’s season premiere. SIDENOTE: Did anyone else have a major problem with the all-too-obvious VitaminWater sponsorship? The brand name was uttered at least three times.
Serena and Dan
They broke up in last season’s finale. Serena spends the summer moping by herself in the Hamptons, and even a cute lifeguard couldn’t raise her spirits. Dan becomes a more literary Chuck and hooks up with any slightly attractive female he encounters while interning for his favorite author (he used the internship more to pick up intelligent girls, than to work on his writing). When Dan finally realizes he’s been a jerk and really misses Serena, he goes to the Hamptons to try to get her back. Dan arrives at the party right when Serena is kissing Nate, but after Dan’s two flings throw VitaminWater on him, the two lovebirds make up and all is right in the world. Keep reading »
Last night’s episode of Mad Men really pissed me off. Oh, Don Draper, and your wiley, sexual ways. And damn you, Duck, for doing what you did to Chauncey! The episode was all about the two sides to women that men see and the two sides to Don that WE see. While Sterling Cooper works on putting together a new ad campaign for Playtex, centered around every woman have a Jackie (Kennedy) side and a Marilyn (Monroe) side — for the record, according to the boys, Peggy is all Gertrude Stein — Don is in way too deep with Bobbie Barrett. Don is not immune to viewing women through these two lenses as well — while he’s happy to have Bobbie as his whore on the side, when Betty buys a chic new bikini to wear at the pool, Don is quick to demean her as “desperate”. Both sides of Amelia wanted to smack the s–t out of him for that one. Keep reading »
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has called it the storm of the century. After the wreckage left in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, we here at The Frisky join the rest of the country in letting the citizens of New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast know that we’re thinking of you. [CNN.com] Keep reading »
I’ve always been a late bloomer, so it wasn’t until my late ’20s that it occurred to me to groom my somewhat pronounced Black Irish eyebrows. And it was only natural that my carpet was mostly natural; I did minimal trimming to reign in my coordinating pronounced downtown region. I believe SNL’s Amy Poehler on “Weekend Update” compared this old school size of pubic-hair real estate to a slice of New York City pizza, which would not be altogether off the mark in describing my zone’s unaltered state. My reasons were numerous, though I’d never had to give them. Keep reading »
1. Get a neon manicure and pedicure.
2. Go skinny-dipping.
3. Eat raw oysters.
4. Make out with a random person at a bar.
6. Play Frisbee.
7. Sunbathe away any tan lines.
8. Wear an all white outfit.
9. Give an impromptu party with close friends on the roof of your building.
10. Visit an outdoor lounge or restaurant.
11. Air out your apartment or house to get a summer breeze.
12. Take outdoor photos.
13. Go for a hike.
14. Explore a new neighborhood.
15. Sleep outside.
16. Attend an outdoor music concert.
17. Get wet in a kid’s outdoor water fountain.
18. Take a weekend road trip.
19. Buy fresh summer produce and cook an entire meal from it.
20. Make popsicles. (Bonus: With booze!)
21. Take a surfing lesson.
22. Have sex outside.
23. Wear a really, really short mini dress out on the town.
24. Read a book you’ve been meaning to read for a long time, but keep putting off.
25. Make a list of Fall resolutions.
26. Organize your closet and donate stuff to charity.
27. Learn the lyrics to one of these songs of Summer 2008: Estelle’s “American Boy”, Rihanna’s “Disturbia”, and Duffy’s “Mercy”.
28. Go on a long walk with no destination in mind and see where you end up.
29. Go to the beach and actually GO in the ocean!
30. Go fishing.
Guess what? The Frisky is taking over the weekends! While we won’t be posting as vociferously as we do during the week, The Frisky will be keeping you up to date on all the sexy happenings on Saturdays and Sundays. Plus, this Labor Day Monday, while we’ll be out of the office, there will definitely be some fresh posts for you to read while you enjoy your day off. Sigh, goodbye summer…hello fall! Keep reading »