“It’s not you, it’s me.” How many times have you heard that? How many times have you comforted a heartbroken friend by telling them that there’s nothing wrong with them, they just happen to have picked a poor partner? How many times have you thought that for yourself?
Here’s a hard truth to learn: Sometimes it really is you. Keep reading »
Breaking up is hard to do? Um, doesn’t have to be. Our girl Gillian Jacobs — who you probably recognize from her role on “Community,” and should check out in the upcoming films “Bad Milo” and “Hot Tub Time Machine 2″ — has come up with 10 easy ways to send your significant other packing. Pick whichever method is best for your situation, and PRESTO! The dirty work is done.
1. The Sweet & Sour: Bake your break up message into a cake. The sweetness of the treat will counteract the bitterness of the bad news. They’ll be on a sugar high and probably won’t really get upset for a few hours.
2. The Undercover: Tell them you’re entering the Witness Protection Program and have to break up with them for their own safety. If you ever run into them again, do not answer to your real name and pretend to have no idea who they are — FOR THEIR OWN GOOD. Keep reading »
It can be confusing to sort out your feelings for someone, especially if you’ve been in a committed relationship with them for a long time. We make up all kinds of crazy reasons to stick together rather than break up, but just because you’ve been together a long time, that doesn’t mean it’s healthy for you. There are lots of obvious reasons to break up, but the ones on this list disguise themselves as reasons to stay together.
1. “He hasn’t done anything wrong.”/”He’s such a good person”/”He’s a great boyfriend.” In every other area of life, not doing anything wrong does not earn you an A+. It earns you a passing grade, but a passing grade is not the same as a stellar significant other. Not doing anything wrong does not equate to doing everything right. You deserve someone who is more than a C. Read more on Your Tango….
Adam Levine is my secret celebrity crush. He’s got this weird, tattooed, skeezy charm about him that somehow really works. Perhaps it’s because “This Love” is the one song I always find myself singing along to in Duane Reade, or because his delivery on the chorus of “Moves Like Jagger” sounds like “loose vagina,” or because he is the handsomest judge on “The Voice,” and he manages to make a torn T-shirt look good. Whatever it is, Adam Levine possesses an imprecise combination of playboyish and charming that makes him irresistible. You know, I bet he’d be good to sit down and have a chat with about love, right? He’s got tons of experience, and I’d love nothing more than to gaze into his eyes while he tells me like it is. Through the magic of the internet, it’s now possible! Join me on this GIF journey as Adam Levine shares his best advice on the pursuit of tail.
Keep reading »
Zack, Kelly, Slater, Jessie, Lisa, and yes, even Screech. Our favorite high school gang taught us countless lessons about friendships, hardships, and the most confusing of all — love.
“Saved by the Bell” isn’t just an iconic ’90s TV show; it spoke to a generation. The show dealt with real teen issues (I’m so excited, I’m so excited … I’m so scared, Zack!) and matters of the heart. From Zack and Kelly’s breakups and makeups to Slater and Jessie’s whole ‘opposites attract’ M.O., look back at all the love lessons they taught us back in ’93. You’ll be surprised how wise these kids were—Mr. Belding would be so proud! Read more on Your Tango…
There are all kinds of cliché dating “rules” that get tossed around in conversation, but are they really worth following? Thanks to books, TV shows, and movies like “He’s Just Not That Into You,” it’s easy to get caught up in the supposed dos and don’ts of communication, emotions, and timing. But before you convince yourself that there’s a template for every relationship, take a look at these common dating myths, debunked:
- Wait to respond. There’s something to be said for playing hard to get every once in a while, but that doesn’t mean you need to let hours pass before you text him back. Instead, communicate with the people you date in the same way you’d communicate with friends to avoid any unnecessary games. Read more on Tres Sugar…
Meet our friend Tom. He’s a married guy with tons of relationship experience, and a skilled advice giver who’s here to answer all your pressing sex, dating and relationship questions. Have a query for Tom? Email it to email@example.com and we’ll make sure he gets it! All questions will be posted anonymously, unless otherwise requested. First up…
“I’m thinking of moving in with my boyfriend. But the past two times I’ve lived with someone, we fought too much and it fell apart. Any advice for how not to let that happen again?”
Yes. Get a cat.
Keep reading »
“I’m sorry” is totally overrated when it comes to the little spats that arise in long-term relationships. Because you can’t be sorry that you talk loud when you’re drunk or that you like to wake up at 6 a.m. or that you love show tunes. These are things about you that are never going to change, the same way that your partner’s never going to stop eating cold pizza for breakfast or interrupting your serious conversations in public to snap an amazing picture. You don’t need to be sorry for these things, but that doesn’t stop snits and fights from cropping up over these minor annoyances. Your unconditional love for your partner doesn’t stop you from occasionally yelling, “Get that slice of pizza out of your mouth!” and then seeing his face droop because he loves cold pizza so much and you know it. So, how to make things right without changing who you or your partner is? Here are some creative techniques to help smooth things out when those little pet peeves get in your way… Keep reading »
Maybe you’ve felt it before, a change in intensity, a drifting away, love that has unfortunately faded. One’s age, maturity, persona and circumstances are all factors that affect one’s relationship, and there are times when the person you thought was the love of your life ends up the stranger who shares your bed at night.
Though it’s difficult, you may eventually come to realize that though love is forever, a relationship sometimes isn’t. Here are a few signs that you’ve probably outgrown your man:
1. Don’t fool yourself. Straight up, you’re just not very compatible. If your lover’s dream is to drop out and become self-sufficient on a farm somewhere, and you’re a city person with ambitions, one of you is going to be seriously unhappy if you stay together. Or, if you always want to go out and he always wants to stay home, look for someone whose social style is closer to yours. Read more…