Zergnet: Simply Irresistible
Tag Archives: feminism
Oh man. This YouTube video “Feminism Explained” is so freaking funny. Granted, the guy in the cartoon is basically arguing sexism does not exist, which is complete BS.
But I’ll be damned if I don’t know some feminists like this one (to be clear: not the “Men are bad” part, but the “It takes years to think like a proper feminist” part). And yes, this is pretty much what they sound like. Let it never be said I don’t have a sense of humor, y’all. [YouTube] Keep reading »
- Kids: they are not having babies like they used to. The teen birth rate fell to a record low in 2009 in a six percent drop from 2008 figures. It’s the second year in a row that the birth rate among teens has fallen. [Washington Post]
- Ladies Shoes Me is a new French dating site where women pick men just like they pick … shoes? WTF? Way to objectify men as just another item for women to consume. [TechCrunch]
- “Glee” actress Jane Lynch, a lesbian, and Dan Savage, a gay advice columnist who pioneered the “It Gets Better Project,” open up about the current status of gay rights in the U.S. [Newsweek]
We’ve written a lot about sexual assault on The Frisky this week, from the death threats faced by Wikileaks founder Julian Assange’s alleged victims and the weatherwoman who filed a false report, to the “Congratulations, you’ve been bad touched!” greeting card on Etsy.com and blogger Andrea Grimes’ incredibly thought-provoking essay, “Who Will Rape Me?” Heavy stuff in the days before Christmas, to be sure.
Yesterday, commenter _JSW_ made a great suggestion that The Frisky get all service journalism-y and provide information on what to do if you’ve been sexually assaulted. I’m more than happy to oblige in the hopes that we can skew our coverage towards more positivity.
I hope our readers and their loved ones will never need this (very basic) information. But given the statistics about rape, attempted rape, sexual assault and incest, it never hurts to be informed. Keep reading »
- The Catholic Church has unaffiliated itself with an Arizona hospital after it performed an abortion on a woman who would have died had she carried her pregnancy to term. St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center removed a dying 11-week-old fetus from a mother of four, but Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted stripped the Catholic affiliation from the facility because he said abortion can never be justified under the church’s teaching. (Thanks to commenter Ashmeekah for the link!) [Politics Daily]
- UCONN’s Huskies women’s basketball team have beat a 88-game winning streak record — originally set by the UCLA men’s team in the ’70s — after the gals beat Florida State on Tuesday night. Congratulations, ladies! [NPR]
- Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN), who sponsored The International Protecting Girls by Preventing Child Marriage Act bill that died in the House, said abortion fear-mongering killed the bill even though the bill had nothing to do with abortion. [StarTribune.com]
What makes me most angry about the reprehensible, privilege-denying behavior of Michael Moore, Keith Olbermann and their allies in the whole Julian Assange-can’t-be-a-rapist-because-he’s-a-freedom-fighter ordeal, addressed beautifully by Sady Doyle and a number of brilliant feminists in the form of the #MooreAndMe Twitter hashtag? The fact that, in the likely event I am ever a victim of completed or attempted sexual assault, powerful men (and women!) of liberal privilege may not — indeed, very likely may not — take me seriously. Keep reading »
- The brother of “Harry Potter” actress Afshan Azad, 22, who played Padma Patil in the series, has pled guilty to assaulting her at the family’s Manchester, England, home when he learned she was dating a non-Muslim. Ashraf Azad, 28, and his father allegedly began screaming that Afshan was a whore while the brother assaulted her. She escaped by jumping out her bedroom window and making her way to London. Ashraf Azad was released on bail, but Afshan herself has repeatedly indicated she fears her life is at risk if she pursues charges against her family. [Jezebel]
- Cincinnati Right To Life, a group against legalized abortion, has posted Christmas-themed billboards which say “He came as a baby” and show a fetus inside an ultrasound with a halo around his head, symbolizing Christ. [Cincinnati.com]
- Beginning last week, the Doonesbury comic strip introduced a lesbian character for a “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” themed story line. [Doonesbury via AfterEllen.com]
This greeting card belongs on Regretsy, not Etsy: it says “Congratulations, you got bad touched!” and is advertised by the Etsy seller “youstupidbitch” as “Get creeped on, get raped? Know someone that has? Then this card is for them.” It depicts a naked woman sitting next to a shower drain with her hands on her head, possibly in distress. And it’s only $2.50 each! I’m assuming this card was uploaded by the seller and will likely get yanked down by the sensitive, liberal-minded folks over at Etsy as soon as they become aware of it. (But considering the seller also offers a wedding-themed greeting card that says, “Congratulations! She’ll make a great starter wife,” the seller might not just be screwing around.) You can see a full screengrab of the Etsy.com page after the jump. Keep reading »
If you signed onto a feminist or women-focused blog anytime in the past week, you might have asked yourself, “What the hell is going on?” Everyone is at least vaguely aware, I hope, of the Wikileaks cables and international man of mystery Julian Assange (though if not, I’ll explain it briefly after the jump). By why the hell is everyone talking about rape? And what does Michael Moore, of all people, have to do with it? And why did Keith Olbermann deprive the universe of his tweets?!
Allow me to attempt to explain — very, very basically — what the hell is going on … Keep reading »
- Woot woot! Betty White has been voted Entertainer of the Year by the Associated Press. [NPR]
- Remember the bigoted DMV employee who sent a letter to transgender woman Amber Yust telling her she’d go to hell after trying to have her gender legally changed on her license? The employee has since resigned. Amber Yust (and I) thinks that employee should have been given a pink slip first. [Nerve]
- Forget about rappers who only rhyme about bitches and hoes: here are the top 10 least misogynistic lyrics of 2010! [The Grio]
- Duh: domestic terror attacks on abortion clinics don’t do jack to lower the abortion rate. Are you listening, extremists? [Big Think]