R. Kelly is one of the most successful R&B artists of our time. He’s sold 54 million records globally, had a career that spans three decades and penned classic records that have provided the soundtrack for some of our best moments.
We shouldn’t be surprised that when Lena Dunham got together with YA author Judy Blume, their first conversation about “writing, celebrity, sex, censorship, and favorite breakfasts” was so earnest and entertaining that it was worthy of publication. The result is a limited-edition, 80-page book published by McSweeney’s The Believer.
Blume, a “Girls” fan, says she loves the show because she “never had that experience of being a young woman living on her own,” and by watching she gets to“to live it vicariously.” And Dunham, who grew up reading Judy Blume books like many of us, explains the importance of reading the authors’ books in the intro:“When we, as young women, are given the space to read, the act becomes a happy, private corner we can return to for the rest of our lives.” Aww. I’m already getting all soppy. After the jump, a complimentary excerpt, which will obviously make you want to go buy the thing for all the book loving ladies in your life. Spoiler: They talk about horses! Keep reading »
I think everyone who writes about body image has a blind spot or a subject that makes them feel a bit hypocritical. After all, most of us haven’t gotten the whole “Love your body exactly as it is 100 percent of the time no matter what” thing down yet, and although we might have a great understanding of all the concepts, and can easily explain them to others, we haven’t quite internalized them for ourselves. Keep reading »
- Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt blew through $10 million by being “immature” and getting “caught up” in their infamy. “Every time we’d go out to eat, we’d order $4,000 bottles of wine,” said Pratt. “Heidi was going to the mall and dropping $20,000 to $30,000 a day. We thought we were Jay Z and Beyonce.” Sweeties, you were never Jay Z and Beyonce. [In Touch Weekly]
- Amanda Bynes is leaving her Malibu rehab to move in with her mom. [US Weekly]
- Newly out-of-the-closet Olympic athlete Tom Daley‘s boyfriend? “Milk” screenwriter Dustin Lance Black. Except Daley is 19 and Black is 39. Hmm. [Celebitchy]
- Britney Spears’ creepy ex-manager Sam Lufti released a bunch of sad, personal text messages from the pop star. [RadarOnline] Keep reading »
- Perez Hilton is producing and starring in a new reality show about gay fathers called “Gay Dads Of New York.” Hilton adopted a baby boy last February. He is completely odious, but I would still watch this. [Hollywood Reporter]
- Keri Russell was the victim of a burglary last night when she woke up to hear two men inside her Brooklyn home. The burglars were caught nearby and the “Felicity” star had her laptop, jewelry and purse returned. [Page Six]
- Paul Walker’s official cause of death after a car crash in Los Angeles this weekend was listed by the coroner as “traumatic and thermal injuries.” Toxicology reports will take another six to eight weeks. [US Weekly]
- “Batman vs. Superman” has cast its Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot from a few of the later “Fast and the Furious” movies and a 2004 contestant for Miss Universe representing Israel. [Eonline] Keep reading »
Julianne Hough has had one of the best bobs in the game for a while now — her artfully layered, shoulder length style was super flattering and helped her stand out in a sea of long-haired ladies. But alas, the beautiful bob is no more. Julianne Instagrammed a picture of her new extensions last night, captioned with the hashtags “#changeisgood” and “#longhairdontcare.” Sadly, I kind of do care, as I’m not a fan of this more generic long hairstyle. Maybe she was looking for a way to distract everyone from that Halloween black face fiasco? What do you guys think of Julianne’s new look? Love it or leave it? [Popsugar]
Earlier today in a UK court, TV chef Nigella Lawson took the stand to tell her side of the story about how those photos of ex-husband Charles Saatchi strangling her outside of Scott’s restaurant came to be. Oh, and to defend herself against the charge that she’s a major cokehead and that he wasn’t strangling her, but rather”removing drugs from her nose.” Because…that’s how it’s done? During his testimony, Saatchi changed his tale, telling the court that he “was not gripping, strangling or throttling her,” he “was holding her head by the neck to make her focus.” Yeah, still not working for me.
If that weren’t enough to deal with, Nigella’s former assistants, Francesca and Elisabetta Grillo, were accused of racking up more than $1 million in charges on the couple’s credit card. Defense lawyers for the former employees have suggested that Nigella gave them free run to use the credit card in return for their silence about her drug habit. Well, it’s finally Nigella’s turn to speak. After the jump, some of the key parts of her testimony. Keep reading »
Who said wearing your wedding dress had to be a one-off deal? Not Keira Knightley, that’s for sure. The actress, who wed musician James Righton this past May (center), rocked her repurposed wedding dress at an event in London last night (left). Worn over some sort of long-sleeved mesh garment, the Chanel frock looked pretty perfect on the blue carpet, but this isn’t the first time Knightley has sported the look off the altar — she actually first inaugurated the tulle number back in 2008, when she wore it with black tights to a BAFTA awards dinner (right). Five years ago, her wedding, and today … it’s safe to say Keira really, really loves this dress. [Photo Credit: WENN]