- Sonia Sotomayor has been confirmed by the Senate in a 68-31 vote. After she receives the oath of office, Sotomayor will be the first Latina judge and third female judge to join the bench. [New York Times]
- Chris Brown‘s sentencing for his assault of Rihanna has been delayed until August 27th. The judge on the case said she’d like for Brown to do hard labor as part of his community service. [TMZ] — That punishment’s a little better, but we still think Chris Brown should do some time to make the “don’t beat your girlfriend” message loud and clear.
- Unfortch, yet another celeb got busted for allegedly beating a woman. Tom Sizemore, who starred in “Black Hawk Down,” was arrested last night for misdemeanor domestic violence against a female companion. In 2003, Sizemore was convicted of hitting his ex, Heidi Fleiss. [FoxNews] — Hitting women: hot in Hollywood right now?
Profile for Jessica Wakeman
You know those articles where a woman writes that something that’s generally considered to be shady is really friggin’ fantastic? Yeah, us Frisky ladies tend to be skeptical. Maybe being a mail-order bride really did turn out well for that woman featured in Marie Claire last month! But don’t kid yourself that you’re not an exception to the rule.
We’ve got similar “meh” feelings for the way Terri Graham, a member of More.com’s reader community, confronted her anorexia, bulimia and body dysmorphic disorder: competing in “countless” beauty pageants and strutting across the stage in a swimsuit and heels caused Graham to stop hating her body. [More.com] Keep reading »
If you’re going to wear fake bling, just be shameless. Like fake-jewels-and-animal-faces shameless. That’s why you need to get your paws on this Friendly Lion Bracelet. Those fake diamonds! That fake ruby! And it’s “gold!” And I bet it goes well with leopard or zebra print, too. Rrrrrrow! [$15, LuLu's] Keep reading »
The New York Times devoted an entire article today to women who loathe their feet. Yes, feet. Smelly, flaky, callused, un-pedicured feet. Some blogs will mock the Times‘ hard-hitting piece of journalism about the ways sandal season brings out our most shameful podia-neuroses.
But in our less scrupulous/mature moments, many of us want to punish our ex, especially if he was a cheater. Ladies, let’s keep it legal (and Krazy Glue-free), OK? Refer to our list after the jump for some ideas: Keep reading »
- Ghostface Killah of the Wu-Tang Clan appeared on Angela Yee’s satellite radio show and said some pretty appallingly misogynist stuff. He criticized some woman who apparently said she screws a new dude each month. “For a female, that’s not nice.” When Angela pointed out the double standard there, Killah said, “That’s what’s wrong with our people and shit. They put our women equal to men. We’re not equal.” Then he continued to criticize Karrine Steffans, who wrote Confessions Of A Video Vixen. “I would never wife that. She had so many d***s in her mouth…I ain’t never made one of those my partner,” he said. “If I f***ed a bitch and it was like that, then I just f***ed her and that was that.” [Salon Broadsheet] — Charming fellow, that one.
Even though she’s a mom, Victoria Beckham‘s taut and toned body in the new Armani ad released today is utterly devoid of wrinkles and jiggly bits. Gisele’s pregnant belly was flattened in the London Fog ads. Beth Ditto got fattened up on the cover of Love. Kim Kardashian appeared slimmed and lightened in Complex. Jeez Louise, the Photoshop-wielding warlocks should win big fat trophies for all their Great Moments In Airbrushing humdingers this year.
Or maybe airbrushed ads should get warning labels, says one British politician. Jo Swinson, a Liberal Democrat in the U.K., said that airbrushing should be banned on advertising intended for viewing by children younger than 16 and all other airbrushed images should carry labels that say what’s been altered.
It’s an absolutely brilliant idea. But unfortunately, it will never happen. Keep reading »
Boyfriend of the Year Chris Brown is getting his slap on the wrist in a L.A. courtroom today and then appearing on “Larry King Live” (reportedly after Oprah’s camp said “No way, Jose” to his sorry ass). Brown’s schedule is so free, you see, because he isn’t doing any jail time for beating the crap out of his girlfriend. Keep reading »
- Lady Gaga told an interviewer she is not a feminist because, “I hail men, I love men. I celebrate American male culture, and beer, and bars and muscle cars.” [Daily Beast]—Dang, Gaga, didn’t you read about that study that found feminists don’t actually hate men?
- When I was a starry-eyed little girl, I wanted to be a doctor someday. The paint company Dutch Boy has other ideas: their homepage teases girly color selections under a banner reading, “Because she wants to be a princess when she grows up.” [Jezebel]—Oh, princess crapola, when will you die?
- Police beat protesters outside a Sudanese court today, who had gathered to support Lubna Hussein, a female journalist who is on trial for violating Islamic law for wearing pants in public. Hussein, a former U.N. worker, has already received 10 lashes from police and paid a fine, but is facing 40 additional lashes. [Wall Street Journal]—If you are looking for something to be grateful for today, you’ve found your answer.
|The Colbert Report||Mon – Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
|Nailed ‘Em – War on Birth Control|
Nothing has made us giggle as hard this morning as this “Colbert Report” clip about 17-year-old Freesia Jackson, who was nailed by her school officials for possession of a controlled substance: her birth control pills. Popping a baby-blocker in the cafeteria earned this little trollop a two-week suspension from school.
Keep reading »