Zergnet: Simply Irresistible
Profile for Jessica Wakeman
“I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee. Twee is whimsy without wit. It’s mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that’s not for me. She can’t sing and she can’t really act, I’m afraid. I’m sure she was a delightful woman — and perhaps if I had known her I would have enjoyed her acting more, but I don’t and I didn’t, so that’s all there is to it, really.”
— Emma Thompson on Audrey Hepburn, the original star of “My Fair Lady.” Thompson is writing the screenplay for a remake of the 1964 film, starring Carey Mulligan. Obviously, we need to start using the word “mimsy-mumsy” in conversation more often. [Telegraph UK] Keep reading »
My name is Jessica Wakeman and I am an Etsy-aholic: the daily newsletter from the vintage/craft/food/housewares/everything website is a must-read. While I enjoy Etsy’s curated daily “Etsy Finds” emails — “Mad Men” style was a recent one, as was a nautical theme — I’m even more psyched that Etsy is branching off into even more niche email lists. “Etsy Fashion” is a daily newsletter of adorable treasures, such as all short-shorts or clutches, while “Etsy Weddings” is a weekly newsletter for all things nuptial-related, like invitations. (Come on, don’t try to pretend you don’t daydream what your invites will look like.) The only annoying thing about the daily emails, I’ve found, is some of the items are sold out by the time I get around to reading it. Click fast, fashionistas! [Etsy.com] Keep reading »
- Sharron Angle, a U.S. Senate candidate for Nevada, has said that having one parent staying at home with children is the “right” and “acceptable” thing to do. Gee, I wonder which gender she’s talking about?! A group of Las Vegas working moms wondered the same thing and recently held an event to denounce Angle and throw their support behind Sen. Harry Reid. [Las Vegas Sun]
- A former middle school student who claimed teasing at school lead her to develop anorexia has settled her federal lawsuit against the Pittsburgh Public Schools. The girl, identified as “B.G.,” said she was harassed every day beginning in 6th grade by three boys who told her she was fat and ugly. Once, when she began to cry in class from the abuse, “B.G.” said, she was sent to the guidance counselor’s office where she was told the boys must be flirting. In 7th grade, two more boys joined in on the teasing and she developed anorexia. That same year, “B.G.” eventually told her mother about what was going on. The girl’s mother said she was never notified about the teasing, even though school administrators were aware it was going on. The settlement is for $55K, plus the cost of mediation. [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
It’s still the first week of August, but I’m already thinking ahead to fall and a new purse to go with it. Scoping my beloved ModCloth.com for something cute, I stumbled across this atrocity: the Misty of Chic-oteague Purse. Errrrr, more like: which way to the glue factory? I’m pretty adventurous when it comes to style, but draw that line at animal-shaped handbags. Maybe if I’m playing dress-up with my nieces. But maybe I’m just turning into an old fart. Do you think Misty of Chic-oteague is totes adorable or agree this pony purse should stay in the stables? [ModCloth.com] Keep reading »
We have been woefully remiss is posting “Modern Lady,” the new CurrentTV web series starring Erin Gibson that replaced Sarah Haskins‘ late, great “Target: Women” show. Allow us to atone for our sins with today’s offering: Erin Gibson asking why all of TV’s lady cops are the same — with a deep and disturbing secret, a slutty outfit always at the ready, and a patented I’m-hot-but-don’t-eff-with-me look on her pretty face.
Life must be slow in Bemidjii, Minnesota. Locals are up in arms over a piece of public art: Gaea, a human-sized beaver with a vagina painted on her belly. Gaea is just one of 10 beavers made by artist Deborah A. Davis, who says the pink folds and round nub are the hands of a praying woman and points out that the word “gaea” (or “gaia”) is ancient Greek for the goddess of Earth.
No matter. Residents became agog at the big beaver vag, because somebody has to remember to think of the children! So, in July, the city manager removed Gaea from public view. Keep reading »
Madonna‘s romances and breakups have always been front-page tabloid fodder, but the Material Mom has done an excellent job keeping her children’s lives private. Since her arrival 13 years ago, the world has seen little of her first child, Lourdes Maria Ciccone Leon, other than in paparazzi photos. (Her father is Carlos Leon, a Cuban-American trainer.) Lourdes, who goes by “Lola,” is inching more and more into the public eye with her Macy’s clothing line, Material Girl, and her mega-adorable blog that’s developed a following by more than a few Frisky staffers. On her blog, Lola likes to share her made-up words — fabnosity! — and her favorite bands — My Chemical Romance. But don’t let the normal tween-y behavior fool you: Lola leads a pretty charmed life. Keep reading »
You called it, Jezebel. The “My butt is big” Nike ad the blogosphere has been buzzing about all week is actually a fake. Jezebel and AdAge.com, an advertising industry blog, checked with Nike and Nike’s agency, who confirmed it’s bootylicious, but it’s not real! Instead, it’s just a canny knock-off of Nike’s actual 2005 “My butt is big” ad campaign. I guess I should have been suspicious that the fake ad spelled the word “embassador” with an “e” instead of the more common spelling with an “a.”
- Megan Fox and Dominic Monaghan are starring in the “Love The Way You Lie” music video for Eminem and Rihanna, playing a couple in an abusive relationship. Fox has donated her paycheck for “Love The Way You Lie” to Sojourn House, a shelter for abused women and children. [Just Jared]
- After a confrontation with an Emirati woman, who chastised her for wearing a low-cut shirt, a British woman stripped down to her bikini and walked through a shopping mall in Dubai. Both women were detained by police and then released, but the Emirati woman filed a complaint of public indecency. [AP]
- The Senate has confirmed President Obama’s nomination of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court. When she is sworn into office on Saturday, she will become the court’s fourth-ever female justice. [CNN]