- Jean Biden, mother of Vice President Joe Biden, passed away today at 92. [Boston.com]
- Portugal passed a bill today to allow gay marriage, which the conservative president is unlikely to veto. So. Gay marriage in a predominantly Catholic country in Europe, but not California, New York or New Jersey. [New York Times]
- Anne Kornblut, the White House correspondent for The Washington Post, recently published a new book, Notes from the Cracked Ceiling: Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and What It Will Take For A Woman To Win. ABC News recently spoke with Kornblut about what it will take to shatter the glass ceiling for good. [ABC News]
Profile for Jessica Wakeman
No one can deny Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been a longtime, committed supporter of the rights of women and girls globally—especially the right for women to plan their pregnancies. Clinton spoke this afternoon at the International Conference on Population and Development on the 15th anniversary of its historic Cairo summit, when 179 governments adopted a program to level out population and development by addressing gender equity and reproductive rights.
Let’s be honest: It’s Friday afternoon and you’ve probably spent most of the day goofing off on Facebook. So you’ve probably noticed your girlfriends posting colors as status updates, like “Pink!” or “Black and white polka dots!” OK, random … I, for one, had no idea what was going on until I opened a message from a friend:
Some fun is going on for breast cancer awareness … just write the color of your bra in your status. Just the color. Nothing else. Send this ONLY to girls. No men. It will be neat to see if this spreads the wings of cancer awareness. It’ll be fun to see how long it takes for the men to wonder why all the girls have a color in their status. Ha!
Hell’s bells, why do so many “awareness”-raising campaigns for breast cancer have to be so stupid? Keep reading »
Want to get worked up in a lather over “Jersey Shore“? Take your pick of things to complain about. The words “guido” and “guidette” are offensive! Snooki got punched in the face by a drunk man at a bar! Nearly all the men on the show are sexist skeezebags who objectify women!
None of these are the complaints I have for the show. I, personally, am shocked, dismayed and offended that “Jersey Shore” has ruined hot tubs for me forever. Keep reading »
My little nerd heart is freaking out right now! Thanks to WiseBread.com, I just discovered FreeDocumentaries.org, a site where you can download full-length documentary films online. (It appears to be legal, as the site claims to “follow all copyright laws.”) They’ve got (relatively) big-budget docs like Michael Moore’s “Sicko,” Morgan Spurlock’s “Super Size Me,” and Barbara Kopple’s “Shut Up And Sing” (the one that explored what happened to country stars The Dixie Chicks when one of them publicly criticized President Bush). The caveat? The flicks are mostly liberal-leaning. Keep reading »
- In the past 12 months, single gals were 21 percent of new home buyers while single men were just 10 percent. However, married couples are still the number one group of new home buyers. [New York Times]
- Anti-abortion protesters outside a clinic in Louisville, Kentucky, have been photographed wearing fake escort vests so as to trick people going into the clinic to think that they, the protesters, are actually there to help. [Feministing]
- Run, Amy, run! Over the holidays, Amy Palmiero-Winters, 37, became the first woman with a prosthetic leg to win a title in a race. Palmiero-Winters lost her left leg from the kneecap down in a 1994 motorcycle accident, but her disability didn’t prevent her from running in the Boston Marathon and a NYC triathlon. On New Year’s Day, while competing with able-bodied athletes in the Arizona Road Racers run, she beat the male winner by 14 miles and the second-place female winner by 36 miles. [Bust Magazine]
The thing I remember most about my lame boyfriend from sophomore year of college was his seething hatred of Yoko Ono. According to my ex, the Beatles were the most brilliant band in the world and they only broke up because some hussy brainwashed John Lennon. I just ignored that quirk in his personality at the time. Eventually, though, I realized the Frothing At The Mouth To Blame Yoko For Everything Wrong In The World bandwagon is cuh-razy! (Read Can’t Buy Me Love by Jonathan Gould if you don’t believe me.) Keep reading »