This was how Philadelphia Flyers hockey player Chris Pronger appeared in a poster from Tuesday’s print issue of The Chicago Tribune. He was Photoshopped to wear a woman’s skirt (or figure skating outfit?), with the caption “Chrissy Pronger: Looks like Tarzan, skates like Jane.”
Profile for Jessica Wakeman
- A South African doctor is giving away 30,000 free “Rape-aXe” condoms for women in South Africa before the start of the World Cup soccer games. The “Rape-aXe” condom has tiny hooks on it which attach to an attacker’s penis and can only be removed by a doctor in a hospital, where he would be identified as a rapist. The latest version of the condom does not pierce the skin, so the transmission of AIDS is not a concern. [Metro]
- Women kicked ass in last night’s primary elections across the nation! Meg Whitman, the former CEO of eBay, won the Republican gubernatorial nomination in California and Carly Fiorina, former Hewlett-Packard CEO, won the state’s Republican Senate primary. In South Carolina, Nikki Haley also won the Republican’s gubernatorial race. [CBS News]
- But it’s not all good news: South Carolina’s Democratic nominee to challenge the incumbent senator was arrested in November and charged with showing obscene internet photos to a female University of South Carolina student. Records also say Alvin Green, 32, talked about going to the young woman’s room at a university dorm. The woman’s identity is unclear. Green’s felony charge carries up to five years in prison. [AP]
Who knows? I just know the following list of rugrats could beat their parents on making Hollywood’s best-dressed list.
The top bodyguard to Britney Spears has quit after alleging that the star walks around naked in her house, goes commando in public, and flirted inappropriately with him, reports The Sun, Britain’s trashiest gossip rag.
Friends of Fernando Flores, 29, a former cop, told The Sun that Britney had an eye for Flores and “he felt if he didn’t reciprocate he could lose his job.” She also allegedly “runs around the house naked and yelling at staff” and guards are warned from “look[ing] at her the wrong way” when she’s in the buff. Flores allegedly also got in trouble with Brit’s father, Jamie Spears, after she was photographed sans panties, apparently because he felt uncomfortable reminding her to put her intimates on beforehand. Flores is allegedly considering legal action. Keep reading »
We tend to think of the concept of “pain” as something physical—something that involves blood, bruises or casts. But people with mental illnesses struggle with this entirely other debilitating concept of pain, one that literally saps the life out of them. I have struggled with depression, or unipolar depression. The National Institute of Health says major depression is when a person has five or more symptoms for at least two weeks. Symptoms include: fatigue or lack of energy; feelings of hopelessness or helplessness; feelings of worthlessness, self-hate or guilt; inactivity or withdrawal from activities that used to be pleasurable; trouble sleeping or sleeping too much; loss of appetite or dramatic gain in appetite; agitation; difficulty concentrating; and thoughts of death or suicide.
For me, depression has manifested itself in all these ways. Sometimes I can sleep for 12 hours straight and still want to spend the rest of the day in bed. Other times, I can’t sleep and seem to be living on my own anxiety-fueled adrenaline. The only common thread is feeling like a human being with all the joyful parts of humanity leeched out of her. Keep reading »
Two months ago, Princess Diana biographer and The Daily Beast editor-in-chief Tina Brown predicted Prince William and his longtime girlfriend, Kate Middleton, would announce their engagement last weekend. June 3rd and 4th came and went without a peep from across the pond. What gives?
Prince William is apparently pissed off because of at least one paparazzi pic of his girlfriend playing tennis on a family vacation, which was leaked to a German magazine. According to Brown’s sources, he suspects someone she knows is tipping the paps off, and he wishes Kate were more upset about it. Keep reading »
- An 8-year-old biracial girl was taken out of her Seattle elementary school class for two weeks, allegedly because the product in her hair made the teacher sick. Charles Mudede, the girl’s father, said the girl was moved into the hallway and then another class after her teacher said the child’s Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion bothered her. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) has filed a complaint about the school with the Department of Education. [Seattle Times]
- Shocker! The U.S. National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study has found that kids raised by lesbians are socially well-adjusted and academically successful. The report, published in the medical journal Pediatrics, has followed 77 lesbian couples and their children since 1986. [CBS News]
Watch your bestseller-list ass, Chelsea Handler. For years, Samantha Bee has been giving brain boners as Most Senior Correspondent on “The Daily Show” and now Canada’s finest import has published her first book, a collection of autobiographical essays titled I Know I Am, But What Are You?.
From saucy recaps of her Barbie dolls’ sex lives to the bittersweet tale of meeting husband, fellow “Daily Show” correspondent Jason Jones, while performing a Sailor Moon musical for children, Bee’s book will have you snorting milk out of your nose (or else something is seriously wrong with you). And because she is awesome, Bee poses on her own book cover in a bumblebee costume. But don’t worry, boys, in the author photo on the back cover she is nude.
Bee agreed to chat with The Frisky, so I called her up armed with list of questions. In part one of our interview, we talked about the expected — being a woman in comedy, her book, and “The Daily Show,” of course. What I did not expect was that she would start our interview by telling me about her vagina. Keep reading »
Who needs another social networking site, right? Apparently, plus-size women. The company that owns Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, and Catherines is launching Sonsi.com, a site hawking clothing and accessories for “real women” who are size 12 and up, as well as an “inclusive” social networking site called SonsiLiving, which offers articles on fashion and beauty, recipes for entertaining and groups like “SuperMoms” and the “Fashionista Club.” Keep reading »