- Megan Fox and Dominic Monaghan are starring in the “Love The Way You Lie” music video for Eminem and Rihanna, playing a couple in an abusive relationship. Fox has donated her paycheck for “Love The Way You Lie” to Sojourn House, a shelter for abused women and children. [Just Jared]
- After a confrontation with an Emirati woman, who chastised her for wearing a low-cut shirt, a British woman stripped down to her bikini and walked through a shopping mall in Dubai. Both women were detained by police and then released, but the Emirati woman filed a complaint of public indecency. [AP]
- The Senate has confirmed President Obama’s nomination of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court. When she is sworn into office on Saturday, she will become the court’s fourth-ever female justice. [CNN]
Profile for Jessica Wakeman
Imagine if every time you left the country — for a vacation, for college, for a new job — you needed permission from your father, brother or husband.
That’s the story of Saudi Arabian women’s lives: women have male guardians (“mahrams”) who must go through a bureaucratic process to grant them permission to travel unaccompanied. But now, technology might be involved: recently, at least one Saudi women’s rights activist claims her husband received a text message from the foreign ministry when she left the country for a vacation. Keep reading »
Erin Andrews is a class act — that’s the takeaway from her first special contributor segment for “Good Morning America.” Erin’s six-minute spot explored a subject she is all too familiar with: women being stalked. Michelle was stalked by an ex-boyfriend for two years whose craziness escalated from phone calls saying he missed her to threats to kill her. Sara was stalked after a disagreement with a family member who called her hundreds of times a week for a whole year before law enforcement got involved. And Dawn, like Erin, was stalked by a stranger who preyed on African-American women. Keep reading »
If you haven’t been watching, a little background: Preston is the mellow black guy questioning his sexuality, Ryan is the uber-aggressive homophobic white guy who called Preston a “f****t.” (Ryan, by the way, is a hairdresser. Just sayin’.) These idiots are, like, 18 years old so they are handling their differences maturely. Ryan took Preston’s smokes, dropped trou, and rubbed the ciggies in his buttcrack. Meanwhile, Preston scrubbed the toilet with Ryan’s toothbrush … and peed on it. Keep reading »
Least surprising Levi Johnston news ever: upon reuniting with Bristol Palin and declaring their surprise engagement on the cover of US Weekly, the fame whore from Wasilla pushed for a reality show. Bristol said hells no and kicked his Playgirl ass to the curb. (His concern that he’d possibly knocked up his ex-girlfriend Lanesia Garcia surely didn’t help.) “Bristol is heartbroken. She described texting him and getting no answer,” People magazine executive editor Betsy Gleick told “The Early Show.” “Then eventually she said Levi said, ‘Hey do you want to be on a reality show?” Keep reading »
In the messy world of politics, a Stepford wife smile and freshly scrubbed tots portray a candidate as a loving husband and a doting dad. Unfortunately, all too many politicians’ kids are familiar with the phrase “Officer, do you know who my daddy is?” After the jump, let’s meet five little hellraisers.
- Rape “bait”: do I even want to know what that is? [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
- The yearly cost of child care is more expensive than the cost of sending a child to a public college in 39 states and Washington, D.C., according to a study released yesterday by the National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies. [ABC News]
- Oh dear. The southern Malaysian state of Malacca is now allowing girls to wed under the age of 16. The Islamic council announced yesterday it would lower the marriage age to 16 for girls and 18 for boys to curb unwed pregnancies. [Reuters]
Mary-Kate Olsen blasted her “Full House” childhood in a new interview with Marie Claire, saying she and twin sister Ashley Olsen were “little performance monkeys.” MK, who has scarcely talked to the press since she was publicly connected to the death of her friend Heath Ledger in 2007, told the magazine, “I would never wish my upbringing on anyone … I look at old photos of me, and I don’t feel connected to them at all.” Apparently, the feeling is mutual. Her sister Ashley also told Marie Claire, “I look at Britney and I’m surprised I didn’t end up like her.” (Sorry, Brit.)
Quite sad to think that all those cheesy made-for-VHS movies made them billionaires, but it hasn’t made them happy.
Ann Taylor knows what sells clothes: thin. Yesterday afternoon, Jezebel noticed that an item on AnnTaylor.com was originally depicted by a skinny model in a tank top, but three seconds later, the page re-boots and the skinny model has magically dropped 20 lbs. around her midsection. Some might say the image was airbrushed beyond looking like a proportional human being. But what a bunch of whiners! Seriously, how could that fat cow sell a Chiffon Trim Tank looking that huge? Next you’re going to tell me something crazy like we should have models who are actually the size of the average American woman. [Jezebel.com and AnnTaylor.com] Keep reading »