Zergnet: Simply Irresistible
Profile for Jessica Wakeman
- Kids: they are not having babies like they used to. The teen birth rate fell to a record low in 2009 in a six percent drop from 2008 figures. It’s the second year in a row that the birth rate among teens has fallen. [Washington Post]
- Ladies Shoes Me is a new French dating site where women pick men just like they pick … shoes? WTF? Way to objectify men as just another item for women to consume. [TechCrunch]
- “Glee” actress Jane Lynch, a lesbian, and Dan Savage, a gay advice columnist who pioneered the “It Gets Better Project,” open up about the current status of gay rights in the U.S. [Newsweek]
We’ve written a lot about sexual assault on The Frisky this week, from the death threats faced by Wikileaks founder Julian Assange’s alleged victims and the weatherwoman who filed a false report, to the “Congratulations, you’ve been bad touched!” greeting card on Etsy.com and blogger Andrea Grimes’ incredibly thought-provoking essay, “Who Will Rape Me?” Heavy stuff in the days before Christmas, to be sure.
Yesterday, commenter _JSW_ made a great suggestion that The Frisky get all service journalism-y and provide information on what to do if you’ve been sexually assaulted. I’m more than happy to oblige in the hopes that we can skew our coverage towards more positivity.
I hope our readers and their loved ones will never need this (very basic) information. But given the statistics about rape, attempted rape, sexual assault and incest, it never hurts to be informed. Keep reading »
- The Catholic Church has unaffiliated itself with an Arizona hospital after it performed an abortion on a woman who would have died had she carried her pregnancy to term. St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center removed a dying 11-week-old fetus from a mother of four, but Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted stripped the Catholic affiliation from the facility because he said abortion can never be justified under the church’s teaching. (Thanks to commenter Ashmeekah for the link!) [Politics Daily]
- UCONN’s Huskies women’s basketball team have beat a 88-game winning streak record — originally set by the UCLA men’s team in the ’70s — after the gals beat Florida State on Tuesday night. Congratulations, ladies! [NPR]
- Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN), who sponsored The International Protecting Girls by Preventing Child Marriage Act bill that died in the House, said abortion fear-mongering killed the bill even though the bill had nothing to do with abortion. [StarTribune.com]
It’s about time! MTV will air a special called “No Easy Decision” in which Markai Durham, a teen on the latest season of “16 And Pregnant,” has an abortion. As first reported by Crushable, Markai got pregnant by her boyfriend James shortly after giving birth to baby Za’karia and decided to end the pregnancy. The special will air on December 28.
Keep reading »
Drama follows Lindsay Lohan everywhere she goes and the Betty Ford clinic, where she been holed up for substance abuse treatment after a stint in the clink, is no exception.
A Betty Ford employee named Dawn Holland — who has since been fired for blabbing to TMZ — claims that on Sunday night LiLo (or “Bella G.,” as she’s known in rehab) was out drinking past curfew with her roommates, refused to take a Breathalyzer test, and threw a phone at her when confronted. Keep reading »
Last summer we blogged the minute-by-minute excitement surrounding Snooki‘s indignifying arrest for public drunkenness on a Seaside Heights beach. As of January 6, season three of “Jersey Shore” will be on MTV and we can all watch this little meatball wobble around the boardwalk asking where the beach is and then face-plant in the sand. In this just-released trailer, we learn Ronnie gets a proctology exam (ew!) and Sammi starts some ish with Snooki’s friend Deena, and J-Woww, and Snooki, and Ronnie … Damn, this crap does not get any less entertaining! [MTV] Keep reading »
- The brother of “Harry Potter” actress Afshan Azad, 22, who played Padma Patil in the series, has pled guilty to assaulting her at the family’s Manchester, England, home when he learned she was dating a non-Muslim. Ashraf Azad, 28, and his father allegedly began screaming that Afshan was a whore while the brother assaulted her. She escaped by jumping out her bedroom window and making her way to London. Ashraf Azad was released on bail, but Afshan herself has repeatedly indicated she fears her life is at risk if she pursues charges against her family. [Jezebel]
- Cincinnati Right To Life, a group against legalized abortion, has posted Christmas-themed billboards which say “He came as a baby” and show a fetus inside an ultrasound with a halo around his head, symbolizing Christ. [Cincinnati.com]
- Beginning last week, the Doonesbury comic strip introduced a lesbian character for a “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” themed story line. [Doonesbury via AfterEllen.com]