Like us on facebook
Profile for Jessica Wakeman
What was Pat Robertson’s famous quote about feminists again? Ah yes, feminism “encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.” Sheesh, who wants to be associated with that? Understandably, if “feminist” is a dirty word for some women, identifying yourself as one can be downright scary for some dudes. But even in the face of a lot of ignorance about what feminists actually believe — that men and women are equal and thus should be paid the same, educated the same, have equal access to health care, and get equal structural support from society — some men are not afraid to fly their feminist flag. In honor of Women’s History Month, let’s take a look at some men who embrace the f-word.
The Stars On Ice Tour will hit rinks on April 1 and stars like Evan Lysacek and Sasha Cohen will triple-axle their way across 40 cities in the U.S. But one Olympian whom the public love love loves won’t be there: Johnny Weir. An anonymous source has told the Gay And Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) that tour sponsors like Smuckers and IMG Entertainment nixed Weir from participating because he is not “family friendly.” Keep reading »
- Sara Hurwitz made history last month when she was made the first Orthodox “rabba,” or female rabbi. After complaints from others in the Orthodox Jewish community, the rabbi who ordained her, Rabbi Avi Weiss, has promised he will not give the title of “rabba” to other women. When asked about the controversy, Hurwitz said, “You know, there’s certain language that people have been using for centuries. Any traditional language being associated with something new is difficult for people. And having women as spiritual leaders is a new phenomenon, and so we’re all trying to figure out what the right language is.” [Heeb]
- Disney is apparently rejiggering their script for a movie about Rapunzel over concerns that it would not appeal to boys after disappointing numbers for their last flick, “The Princess & The Frog.” The title will be changed from “Rapunzel” to “Tangled.” [San Francisco Chronicle]
- Representative Eric Massa recently stepped down after a male staffer complained of workplace harassment. But after reading Massa’s quote on the incident in question, Bust magazine has quite rightly pointed out there is a sexual double standard going on when it comes to men and women being sexually harassed. [Bust]
- In related news, aides to Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi allegedly had concerns about former Rep. Massa’s inappropriate behavior as far back as October. Pelosi has said her staff only heard about Massa in February. Assuming this is true, it just goes to show men aren’t the only ones guilty of mishandling sexual harassment accusations. [Wall Street Journal]
the model for sexually active old men is Hugh Hefner with three blondes on each arm, while the model for sexually active women is Stifler’s mom from “American Pie” Keep reading »
Today is my birthday. I’m 26 years old today — but I look much younger. With my big, brown eyes and round cheeks, people who don’t know me often mistake me for being in my early 20s or even in my teens. (It probably doesn’t help matters that my maturity hovers around the “Yo Gabba Gabba!” level at times.) Looking younger than my actual age is both a blessing and a curse. It is difficult, as a young-looking woman, to be taken seriously by older people when I discuss politics, society or culture. I’m not going to complain about being told that I “look so young,” though, when the latter is meant as a compliment. Who doesn’t enjoy compliments?
But I’ll admit I feel weird accepting those compliments sometimes. Why should I be flattered that I look young? Keep reading »
- Guess who is coming to spring break, guys? An anti-abortion group with two “truth trucks,” featuring huge photos of aborted fetuses. The Personhood FL Spring Break Tour 2010 will head to West Palm Beach and other beaches starting next week, where it plans to distribute 30,000 petitions to challenge the constitutionality of Roe vs. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal. Talk about a buzzkill. [WPTV]
- After discovering parole records for John Albert Gardner III, the man accused of murdering 17-year-old Chelsea King, had been destroyed, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has ordered law enforcement to retain all records on sex offenders. It boggles my mind that sex offenders’ criminal records were being destroyed. [AP]
- This morning 200 Women Airforce Service Pilots, or WASPs, who flew military planes during World War II, received Congressional Gold Medals at the Capitol. [AP]
I’m so glad I’m not a celebrity because I know at some point, I’d want to slap Barbara Walters. That bitch is nosy! At least Babs can admit she sometimes crosses the none-of-your-beeswax line: In an interview with The Toronto Star, Walters said it was “inappropriate” of her to ask booty-shaking Ricky Martin if he was gay in a 2000 interview.
In the decade-old chitchat , Walters asked the Latino pop star how he had been “enjoying” his sexuality, to which he awkwardly — and vaguely — responded, “I live la vida loca!” Keep reading »
“In the selection [of astronauts], we had almost the same requirements on women candidates as those for men, but the only difference was that they must be married, as we believe married women would be more physically and psychologically mature.”