Foreign victims of domestic violence may finally be able to escape their abuse; the Obama administration has instated a new policy that may grant some of these victims asylum in the United States. The policy would reverse a Bush administration stance that did not allow foreign abuse victims entry into the U.S. Keep reading »
Profile for Carrie Wasterlain
I’ve come across some news this week that is just plain horrifying. I figure the only way to make myself feel less depressed about it is to share all of the awful news with you guys! So if your day is just going too damn well, here’s your chance to make it a little less lovely. After the jump, crazy-depressing news that is guaranteed not to put a smile on your face. Sorry, everyone. Keep reading »
- Is “So In Style” Barbie on the right path towards a more “authentic” Black Barbie, with its fuller lips, noses and curly hair? [The Root]
- Michael Jackson’s kids reportedly want to live with neither their Grandmother, nor Debbie Rowe, but with their aunt Janet.[OK!] — She does have the fiercest dance moves.
- Politicians aren’t the only ones with infidelity problems, rumor has it that athletes are pretty horrible at monogamous relationships as well.[Lemondrop] – Pro-athletes cheat in 80-90% of relationships…so stay far, far away.
A recent article in Marie Claire magazine narrates the stories of three divorced mothers who gave up custody of their children—Maria Housden left her girls to their father in order to recover from the death of one of her daughters, Elle Hull decided to leave her kids with her ex-husband so that she could rebuild her formerly-falling apart life, and Rebekah Spicuglia gave up custody in order to go back to school.
Keep reading »
- Karolina Kurkova is reportedly pregnant with fiancé, and film producer, Archie Drury baby. [People] – Seems like Gisele Bundchen and Adriana Lima’s children and her own children-to-be will be play-dating together. The model friends are all due around the beginning of next year.
- According to this handy little tool, our Twitter is 60% hetero! How straight is your Twitter? [Stockholm Pride via Buzzfeed]
- Russell Brand is set to host the MTV Video Music Awards, again! [Just Jared] – While he’s usually hilarious, I remember last year’s ceremony being a bit awkward. Maybe he’s back again to redeem himself?
- Tony Romo reportedly broke up with girlfriend Jessica Simpson last Thursday, the night before her 29th birthday. [People] — Ouch!
- HBO is developing a new drama series based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. The series will trace the life, family history, and complicated sexual identity of character Cal Stephanides, a hermaphrodite. [Broadcasting Cable] — Hopefully the series will do the (great) novel justice.
- Scarlett Johansson is the new face of the clothing line, Mango. According to the company, Johansson embodies the ideal Mango woman — “chic, independent, and cosmopolitan.” [Just Jared]
So, how exactly will these new products appeal to women? Well, they’ll be pink, and shaped like purses! What a relief. I was really having trouble figuring out how to use my white, rectangular speakers. Fitting its plug into an outlet is much too confusing for my female brain to handle!
The new line of products is inspired by a survey Memorex conducted, in which a reported 70 percent of women said they feel ignored by the consumer electronics market. I’m pretty sure that’s not because the products aren’t pink; marketers are determined to believe otherwise.
But as we’ve seen before, with offensive ad campaigns such as the one for “Della,” (a website “for the ladies” that is great for “finding recipes,” “counting calories,” “shopping,” and “tech tips”), companies just can’t seem to figure out what women want. While they work on figuring it out, we’ve compiled the top 10 gag-worthy gadgets that are perfect for pink-loving princesses, and no one else.
- The organization GEMS (Girls Education and Mentoring Services) is teaming up with celebs such as Beyonce, Halle Berry and Demi Moore to launch their new “Girls Are Not For Sale” campaign. [Feministing]
- Not only did Senator John Ensign of Nevada have an affair – he recently admitted that his parents paid his “mistress” $100K.[Examiner] — Note to self: don’t get involved with politicians!
- Jennifer Aniston gave the entire cast and crew of her new movie, “The Bounty,” a four-day weekend, instead of three-day, footing the bill for everyone’s salary during their extra day off. [People] – Even if her love life isn’t where she wants it to be, her heart is in the right place.