Now that I am so used to him playing horny rabble-rousing a-hole Hank Moody on Californication, it’s easy to forget that there was once another role that David Duchovny was known for — Fox Mulder, from hit series The X-Files (the new film comes out this weekend). I have to admit, I wasn’t the hugest X-Files fan, despite being a total sci-fi nerd. I think it was too serious for me, and I like my aliens campy. But regardless, Mulder was hot. So hot, legions of horny men and women spent their free time writing Mulder/Scully erotic “fan fiction” (a truly nerdy hobby that I may or may not have engaged in myself) and posting it on the internet. Like this one! Keep reading »
1. Christian Bale Why He Made The List: Yeah, so there’s that pesky assault charge that’s turning out to be a little overblown. The Dark Knight star is having a bit of a bad week — until now. In our opinion (okay, mine — Catherine still prefers Val Kilmer), Bale is the best Batman, but let’s face it, aren’t you all just still crushing on him from his appearances in Empire of the Sun, Newsies, and American Psycho?
2. Ryan Gosling Why He Made The List: He can do a mean Southern accent (Fracture), play a drug addict with the best of them (Half Nelson), and — oh, &*%$ it. The Notebook, okay? The Notebook.
3. James McAvoy Why He Made The List: Um, that Scottish accent? Which he has the ability to hide flawlessly at the drop of a hat? Those boyish good looks? A little movie called Atonement. Yeah.
4. Josh Peck Why He Made The List: Like his Wackness costar Olivia Thirlby, this may just be the former teen star’s breakout year. He was the chubby kid on some kids show we of course never watched — now he’s all grown up and doing sexy shower scenes. Sweet! Keep reading »
1. Maggie Gyllenhaal Why She Made The List: After blowing everyone away in Secretary and Sherrybaby, she managed to save the role of Rachel Dawson in The Dark Knight from the hack job Katie Holmes did. Also, she named her daughter
Ruby Ramona, breast feeds in public and doesn’t care who complains, and is just generally bad ass.
2. Amanda Seyfried Why She Made The List: She’s adored as the oldest daughter on HBO’s Big Love, but who knew she could, you know, SING? She’s appearing as the lead in the movie version of the musical Mamma Mia!, singing all the tunes herself. Smashing, darling.
3. Liv Tyler Why She Made The List: Is there any actress more goddess-like than Liv? She’s been a favorite ever since she appeared in an Aerosmith music video, rocked the Italian countryside in Stealing Beauty, and warmed out hearts in Empire Records. Now she’s a big blockbuster draw in The Incredible Hulk.
4. Olivia Thirlby Why She Made The List: Easily one of the breakout stars of the year, Olivia portrayed the slang-smacking best friend in Juno and won the lead in the new movie The Wackness. She’s the next BIG THING, for sure. Keep reading »
Today in our “Dating Don’ts” column, Judy McGuire gave some tips on how NOT to act on a first date if you don’t want your companion runnin’ for the hills. But we decided that there must be things guys shouldn’t do on a first date either that set women off. We decided to ask the women on our IM (yes, they’re there!) what would turn them off on a first date. Their responses, after the jump… Keep reading »
So have you noticed that I haven’t written this column in awhile? That’s because it’s going monthly. Planning a wedding is not that action-packed, to be honest! Especially when you haven’t actually started planning it yet — well, to be fair, we are waiting to hear back on a particular location. If that gets secured, I will actually start working on the other details.
But just because my reply to the nearly daily question, “How’s the wedding planning coming along?” is “What wedding planning?”, doesn’t mean I still don’t have plenty to say about being engaged. And I have determined in the last six months that the easiest way to determine if you’re ready to marry someone, the easiest way to make sure that this person is the right one to spend forever with, is if you can tolerate all the things about them that annoy you. Because fiances are still annoying. Keep reading »
We’re asked some of our friends to tell us who they nominated for the Hotness Awards. At the last minute, just before we closed to the nominations, we received picks from the fabulous Cate Sevilla, the blogger behind the upcoming new women’s blog BitchBuzz. Check ‘em out (some of her picks made the final nominees!) and then click to after the jump to view a new video telling you how and when (Hint: NOW) to start voting! Keep reading »
According to The Chicago Sun Times, Christian Bale has been estranged from his mother and sister ever since he took his father’s side in their divorce in the early ’90s. On the evening of the alleged assault, Bale agreed to meet with his mom and sis at their hotel, but realized quickly they were only trying to get money from him. Some words were exchanged and Bale’s mom supposedly insulted his wife, Sibi. Bale is said to have pushed his mom out the door, which resulted in her filing the assault charge, an accusation he denies. All this seems terribly fishy to me — a greedy mom who mouths off about his wife? If the most Bale did was enthusiastically escort his mom at the door, I don’t see what the problem is. But this does bring up an interesting question about loyalty in a relationship — should a guy always take his wife’s side and defend her, even among family members? Keep reading »
As if I haven’t said it enough, I heart Mad Men and am on the edge of my seat for this Sunday’s season two premiere. I especially love foxy redheaded Queen Bee of the secretaries, Joan Holloway. Her approach to getting ahead at work may not be ours (but then again, we don’t have to contend with 1960′s sexism!), but her style is hot. Embracing her womanly curves, the character always looks chic and well put together, and getting the look yourself, while staying modern, is actually pretty easy. Check out three options we put together, based on Joan’s fashion from last season, after the jump. Keep reading »
On last night’s So You Think You Can Dance, contemporary choreographer Mia Michael’s composed a dance for contestants Twitch and Katie that went along with one of our favorite songs of the summer — Duffy’s “Mercy”. The storyline for the dance was awesome — a clingy desperate woman trying to cling to her man. I loved the use of the doorway as a prop. Check out the clip above! Keep reading »