ICYMI: Donald Trump Talked About Black America In Literally The Worst Imaginable Terms

In an attempt to woo black voters, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump decided to hold a rally Friday with all white people in the middle of Dimondale, Michigan, a pretty white town outside of Lansing. His message for black America shows how twisted Donald Trump’s view of black people really is. He asked African-Americans, “What the hell do you have to lose?” Trump added, going off his teleprompter according to CNN, “You’re living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58 percent of your youth is unemployed.” Trump was trying to convince black voters — who weren’t even in the fucking room — that the Democratic Party and Hillary Clinton in particular didn’t have their best interests at heart.

He also boldly added that although he only has 1 percent of the black vote right now, he would have 95 percent of it by the end of four years. Which is really fucking hysterical, because even President Obama, who’s half black, had 93 percent of the African-American vote in 2012. So, Trump has a lot of work to do.

There are so many things wrong with Trump’s statements over the weekend. First of all, he’s talking to a bunch of white people wearing khaki shorts and Reebok sneakers with their socks pulled all the way up. Like, these weren’t just white people. These are the kind of people you’d use as inspiration to dress up as a white person for a Saturday Night Live sketch. But anyway.

OK, fine, he spoke to a bunch of white people in the middle of nowhere about the black experience. The larger problem with his statements is that they’re based in some stereotype of black Americans. Not all black people are Democrats. Not all black people live in poverty. Not all black people live in close proximity (the “your schools” line evokes this urban ghetto thing). The 58 percent of youth who are unemployed is thought to be taken from a recent employment report that shows 42 percent of black youth ages 16-24 are employed, but that number doesn’t show if the other 58 percent are looking for jobs or not. Again, misleading as fuck.

He also went on Fox News and called black America a “total catastrophe,” saying he would “cheerlead” for the black community, and “get” them jobs. Of course, there is no real plan and no acknowledgement that there are lots of employed black people. Even his tone, with the use of “your” and “them” in interviews, is tone deaf and slightly bullying. He’s talking at people all time.

Yes, there is a racial divide in America. There’s a class divide, as well. Trump could maybe earn some black support (LOL, no he won’t, but let’s pretend) by talking authentically to Americans of all races about their experiences instead of mimicking what boring white people in the middle of Michigan who have possibly never met a black person assume about all black people.

Tags: donald trump