A Minnesota Police Shooting Leaves Another Black Man Dead, The Aftermath Live-Streamed On Facebook

In the second fatal encounter between the police and a black man this week, the police shot a Minnesota man to death at a traffic stop Wednesday night outside of St. Paul. Like the death of Alton Sterling in Louisiana Tuesday, Wednesday’s shooting was captured on video, but instead of popping up online in the following days, it was streamed live on Facebook by a passenger in the car. The victim, 32-year-old Philando Castile, was the only person injured, though there was a young girl and adult woman in the car pulled over by the cops, one of whom took the video that evokes far too many similar videos we’ve seen in the past few years.

The video, which hasn’t been verified by the authorities, wasn’t started until just after the shooting, but claims Castile was pulled over for a broken tail light, though the police have not commented on the reason for the stop. It shows the woman speaking, then turns to show a man beside her in the car (presumably Castile) covered in blood and slumped over, a police officer with a gun drawn standing outside the car window. The woman, identified as Diamond Reynolds, claims Castile was licensed to carry a gun but was reaching for his wallet in his pocket to get his ID right before the officer shot him four times.

St. Anthony Police interim police chief Jon Mangseth told Fox 5 News the car was pulled over around 9 p.m. local time. He did not have details about what the traffic stop was for, though he did confirm that the victim was killed by the officer’s bullets.

Protests quickly popped up at the scene of the shooting and outside the hospital where Castile later died, eventually moving to St. Paul to demand Governor Mark Dayton take action, but the governor has not commented on the shooting. Castile’s cousin, Antonio Johnson, told The Star Tribune Castile was “a black individual driving in Falcon Heights who was immediately criminally profiled and he lost his life over it tonight.”

Castile’s family told The Star Tribune he graduated from St. Paul Central High School with honors and worked in a school cafeteria for more than 10 years. “They killed my son,” Valerie Castile told The Tribune outside the emergency room. “They took a good man, a hard-working man.”