Paranoid Fear #276: Woman Gets Infection From Hair Tie Around Wrist

Attention, all women and men with buns who are still trying to make that work: that grubby hair tie you have around your wrist is probably going to kill you.

This is what happened to Audree Kopp, a Philadelphia woman who was hospitalized for a life-threatening infection on her wrist, caused by bacteria from her hair tie worming its way under her skin and creating an abscess so large that it required a visit to the ER, hospitalization and surgery. Had Kopp let the abscess linger, it could have ruptured and gotten into her bloodstream, causing sepsis.

“I didn’t believe it at first,” Audree said. “I thought that it was a spider bite, or something else, not from wearing hair-ties.”

I have removed my hair tie from my wrist and will probably throw them all away while idly scratching at my wrist and studying every pore for swelling. Have a great day!