University Of Missouri Increases Security In Response To Threats And Rumors

Last night and into the early hours of this morning, University of Missouri students were using social media to alert others to be safe and even stay away from campus because of threats made in the wake of Concerned Student 1950’s protest. The activist group — joined by the football team, who threatened to go on strike — have been protesting the climate of racism at the school, including a number of specific racist incidents that officials had failed to take seriously, and were successful earlier this week in getting school President Tim Wolfe to resign. However, ousting one school official is hardly a cure-all, and the situation remains tenuous.

Late yesterday, rumors swirled that the KKK had been spotted on campus, though school police denied that, while direct threats to the university were posted on YikYak, an anonymous social app. “Some of you are alright. Don’t go to campus tomorrow,” someone wrote on the anonymous app Yik Yak, seemingly echoing a similar threat posted before the mass shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College. “Tomorrow mizzou will really make national news.”

“I’m going to stand my ground tomorrow and shoot every black person I see,” another post said.

The police have since arrested a suspect linked to those postings, and while little info is known about the person, the University was quick to assure that they were “not located on or near the MU campus at the time of the arrest.” The school has also heightened security in light of those threats but classes are still scheduled for today.

Meanwhile, on Twitter, Mizzou students reported seeing a truck driving around campus shouting racist slurs and harassing people of color.

And another student was seen ranting racist garbage near something called “the speaker’s circle”:

ABC 17 News also reports that a threat was called in yesterday during a meeting between Concerned Student 1950 and the Missouri Legislative Black Caucus at the Black Cultural Center. The building was then locked down to MUPD could investigate.

We’ll continue to follow this story as it unfolds.