5 Ways The Kardashian Sisters Are A Depiction Of Modern Sisterhood
Consider the Kardashian sisters. Strip away your groans, the millions, the lavish mansions, the exotic vacations, the Kanye. What do you have? Five insanely close sisters, going through life together. The Kardashians (well, the Kardashian-Jenners) get a ton of flack for being spoiled, obnoxious, and outrageous. But, I actually have always felt a kinship with them — the three oldest sisters, Kourtney, Kim and Khloe, in particular.
Early on in the first season of their long-running reality show, “Keeping Up With The Kardashians,” my sister and I realized that we’re not so different from them — not when it comes to the designer clothes, 72-day marriages, and jet-setting lifestyles — but when it comes to their interactions with each other. They’re crazy close, and so are we. And as my sister and I have loyally watched the Klan over the past seven years, we’ve seen a lot of our relationship reflected in the relationships they have with each other.
I’d venture to say my sister and I aren’t the only ones who have felt this way: the Kardashian sisters are an example of modern sisterhood at its core:
1. They’re Uncensored: These TV sisters definitely don’t have much of a filter. Whether it’s Khloe spouting wisdom about every man needing a bra for his balls (“because nobody likes saggy balls”) on “Kourtney & Kim Take New York,” or Kourtney explaining that when she’s breastfeeding, her ‘juice isn’t loose’ on “KUWTK,” or they’re waxing each other’s bikini lines on TV, the concept of being “ladylike” is pretty much out the window. They can be just as raunchy as any set of guys, without any shock factor or apologies.
2. They’re Physically Affectionate: Ever notice in the many scenes of the family hanging out at home, that the siblings tend to pile basically on top of each other on the couch, arms and legs intertwined in every which way? They’re constantly cuddling (or as my sister and I lovingly call it, ‘snugging’), slapping each others’ asses, and all-around ignoring any sort of physical boundaries. Weird? I think not. My aunt once told my sister and me that we remind her of puppies in a litter: We have no sense of separate personal space, and we’re cool with that.
3. They’re A Package Deal: I still remember the toast Kim and Kourtney gave during Khloe’s wedding to Lamar Odom (RIP that relationship), shown on an episode of “KUWTK.” In it, Kim noted, “When you date one of us, you date the whole family,” and Kourtney continued, “and Lamar’s excited to be dating all three of us.” My sister, Meg, and I looked at each other and laughed because, once again, those TV sisters were mirroring our lives. My sister had gotten married the year before Khloe did, and we’ve always said that I was part of that deal. My brother-in-law, Rob, though resistant at first, often lovingly (or so we like to think) states, “I can’t believe I married you guys.” It’s a given that the sisters can’t be separated.
Six years after my sister’s wedding, I’m now engaged. And still, when my fiancé is out of town, I somehow find myself sleeping over at Meg and Rob’s place, relegating Rob to the lonely arm chair so Meg and I can cuddle while we watch TV. And, as we plan my wedding, my sister makes sure to ask what the plan is for our “first look” — the “our” being Meg, myself, and my fiancé. That one may be a joke (or is it?), but it’s an extension of the close-knit relationship we have not only with each other, but with each others’ significant others, too.
4. They’re Brutally Honest With Each Other: If my sister thinks I look like a librarian in my dress (and not in a cute way), she’ll be the first to tell me. The five Kardashian sisters are definitely no different. Over the course of their tenure in the spotlight, we’ve seen them call each other out on their personalities — for things like being bratty or self-centered — and their looks, among other things. Just like there’s no filter when it comes to the sisters’ vulgar discourse, everything is fair game when sharing their opinions of each other. But, though their words can be biting, it rarely seems to come from a place of evil. The sisters love each other on such a level that they can be so brutally honest with each other, and still know the relationship is solid.
5. They’re More Friends Than Family: Sure, each of the Kardashian sisters has her own friends who are not a part of the family. But it doesn’t seem to compare to the bond they have with each other. Even Kendall and Kylie, who are a good 10 years younger than the oldest three sisters, are part of that bond. I love my friends, and certainly can’t live without them, but there’s no easier or better relationship than the one I have with my sister. If I want to go shopping, she’s the first person I call. If I want to hang out and watch TV (some variety of the Kardashians, natch), she’s the first person I call. If I want to talk about absolutely nothing on my way home from work, she’s the first person I call. Nothing supercedes the friendship I have with my sister, and from what I can tell, the same goes for that crazy, over-the-top TV family.
[ Personal photo via Kelly Moore of KMO Photo]