Weekend Shut-In Worksheet: Read Travels With Casey, See “Boyhood” & Drink Whiskey Lemonade
Activities are wonderful, but sometimes, it’s fine to want to shut the world out for a couple of days, and make some serious time for you. Don’t be afraid of FOMO, either. There will always be another party, another pub crawl, another picnic. The time you’ll spend indulging in the things you want to do, alone, are well worth it. Here’s a handy list of awesome things to do this weekend!
- Travels With Casey: My Journey Through Our Dog-Crazy Country by Benoit Denizet-Lewis: Y’all know how obsessed I am with my dog Lucca — the sun rises and sets on the tilt of her adorable head. My friend, New York Times journalist Benoit Denizet-Lewis is also a hardcore dog lover, and with his gorgeous Lab mix Casey by his side, he traveled across the U.S. in a rented motor home for four months, interviewing a cast of dog-obsessed characters about our country’s relationship with man’s best friend. Both Lucca and I give it two paws/thumbs up. – Amelia
- “You Can Own Too Many Books” (The Toast): Rachel Kramer Bussel wrote this piece about book hoarding on The Toast and the below picture of just my desk at work illustrates how well I relate to this problem. – Jessica
- Quiet: The Power Of Introverts In A World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain: It’s no secret that I’m an introvert, which is why I’m reading this nonfiction book by Susan Cain. She explains how America has an “Extrovert Ideal,” namely a cult of personality which assumes your ideas are the best if you voice them the loudest and that teamwork is more important than thinking things through. It’s enormously gratifying to have confirmation I’m not a weirdo just because I find talkative people annoying. Susan Cain’s TED talk on “The Power Of Introverts” is another good resource on the subject. – Jessica
- “Boyhood” (in theaters): Seriously, everyone and their mom has told me that Richard Linklater’s epic film “Boyhood,” which he filmed over the course of 12 years with the same cast, is the must-see of the year. Finally going to get my ass out to the theater to see it because it looks like a masterpiece. – Amelia
- “Sex Tape” (in theaters): I’m heading to the movies to see “Sex Tape” starring Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel, despite the fact that I heard it sucks. Whatever. – Katie
- “112 Weddings” (online): I’m really excited to watch “112 Weddings,” a documentary about a former wedding videographer who tracked down the couples he filmed years later to see if their marriages made it. The candid interviews with the couples reveals all kinds of insights about the unexpected twists and turns of marriage. – Claire
- Ingrid Michaelson, Lights Out: I’m going to see Ingrid Michaelson in concert next week with Sophie, and I’m listening to her Lights Out album to prepare. So far I love it and highly recommend! – Katie
- “Sexy Beats” Playlist (Spotify): I am mocked relentlessly for my “Sex Songs” list on Spotify, so I did a little detective work to find a playlist of sexy beats with 99% less Top 40 pop. If I do say so myself, it’s pretty arousing.
- Ashlee Simpson, Autobiography: Sunday was the 10-year anniversary of Ashlee Simpson’s Autobiography, so I’m having a nostalgia party by listening to it all weekend, and mixing in some of my other pop favorites from the early 2000s. If only “The Ashlee Simpson Show” were available somewhere to binge watch.
- Bluegrass: Last weekend I went to Grey Fox Bluegrass Music Festival and discovered my love for The Barefoot Movement, Della Mae, and Gangstagrass! If you’re a bluegrass fan, I highly recommend The Barefoot Movement and Della Mae. These two bands feature female vocals that will rock your world. If you’re looking for something unique, Ganstagrass will shock you with it’s mix of old timey twang and rap. – Sophie
- Whiskey Lemonade: I’m whipping up a batch of this Whiskey Lemonade for a housewarming party I’m going to this weekend, and am praying that I don’t fall over. Meh. – Katie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Pops: It’s too hot to bake, but I will be giving these bad boys a try. – Sophie
- Exfoliate: One perk of working at The Frisky are all the beauty products we get for possible testing in our column Beauty Test Drive. This weekend I’m going to try out Tahitian Vanilla Lime Sea Salt Body Scrub by Tastyface Organics. I really need to do something about my calloused feet. – Jessica
- Download: I want to try out “Party Party,” the new photo app by A Beautiful Mess that has a stop-motion feature! I’ll have to conduct a mini photo shoot just so I have an excuse to play with it. – Claire
- Download: Make your own emojis with this awesome FREE app called Imoji. You can turn a picture of, like, anything into a textable emoji. I made one of Lucca’s head, obvi. – Amelia
- Random Hack: Clean out your old, almost empty EOS lip balm containers and use them for jewelry storage when you travel. A randomly weird but good idea. – Amelia