Eighteen years ago today, The Spice Girls put their stamp on the world by releasing “Wannabe.” It’s hard to believe I was just a little pigtailed eight-year-old at the time, but this song has remained one of my favorite jams and girl power anthems over the years, crowned as my karaoke song of choice. (And I know I’m not the only one who knows all the words to Mel B‘s rap verse to this song, so don’t kid yourselves.) The Spice Girls were more than just a girl band, and “Wannabe” was more than just a song. Girl Power is a way of life that I’m proud to say I still abide by, but that’s not the only thing they taught me. Check out these 10 life lessons we all learned from Baby, Posh, Ginger, Scary and Sporty Spice.
1. Walk into every room like you own it. And you will!
2. Embrace your inner sex kitten, whatever that means to you.
3. When in doubt, dance it out.
4. Go after what you want, and don’t be shy about it.
5. When someone wrongs you, kick their ass to the curb!
6. Sometime people are shallow, but you don’t have to be.
7. Treat everyone as your equal.
8. Never become too busy that you have no time for fun.
9. Always stand up for yourself!
10. And last but certainly not least, have plenty of GIRL POWER!