Found: The Most Perfect Mason Jar Of Them All
Like any twenty-something middle class white woman with a Pinterest account, I love mason jars. I want to organize and compartmentalize my entire life in a collection of artfully arranged mason jars. I firmly believe there is no such thing as too many mason jars. I will always say yes to mason jars. So when Jarden Home Brands contacted me and asked if I’d like to give their 100th anniversary green mason jars a spin, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. Of course I said yes.
I opted for the pint size jars, which are perfectly proportioned to use as drinking glasses, for DIY projects, or storing a wide variety of foods, cosmetics, toiletries, or large spiders that you don’t want to kill but are too scared to put outside. The green tint is so eye-catching and ideal for decorating around the house. Also they’re made in the USA. What’s not to love?
Here is a brief sampling of the ways I’ve used my mason jars so far, none of which are earth-shatteringly original, but damn if these things aren’t versatile:
- Glass for sparkling water with fresh mint, sipped on my porch and dutifully Instagrammed (as seen above).
- Storage container for the DIY coconut sugar scrub I keep in my bathtub.
- Toothbrush holder.
- Storage container for dry kitchen ingredients like beans, (that I keep out on the shelf because the jars are so pretty!).
- Cocktail glasses for a party.
- Leftovers container.
- To-go cup for smoothies and coffee.
- Salad shaker (just put in some greens and veggies, a couple tablespoons of vinaigrette, and give it a good shake).
- Spider trapping device.
- Vase for roses (OMG, light pink roses with the green jar? So chic).
- Conversation pieces during a dinner party (“Where did you get those green jars? They’re so pretty!”).
- Craft supply organizers
- Firefly catcher (don’t worry, I let them go!)
- Containers for growing herbs on my windowsill.
So there you have it. I might have gotten my first 6 jars for free, but you bet I’ll be ordering another case or two to feed my addiction. Because contrary to Kermit’s claims, it is easy being green. It’s cute and convenient too!
[Green Ball Mason Jars, $12.95 for set of 6, Fresh Preserving Store]