Ruby Dee, Actress & Civil Rights Activist, Dies At 91
- Ruby Dee, an actress in the 1961 film “A Raisin In The Sun” and a prominent civil rights activist, died yesterday at age 91. She was a friend of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X, and she appeared at the famous March On Washington in 1963. She appeared in two of Spike Lee’s earliest films, “Do The Right Thing” and “Jungle Fever,” and was the first Black woman to star in major roles in a prestigious Shakespeare festival. Dee, was married to the actor Ossie Davis and together they received a joint National Medal of Arts from President Clinton. [New York Times, ColorLines]
- Louisiana’s governor has signed a restrictive abortion bill into law which requires that doctors have admitting privileges at hospitals within 30 miles of their clinic. It also mandates a 24-hour waiting period for abortions. [RH Reality Check]
- Brandeis University in Massachusetts punished a student who committed sexual assault with a “warning” and required “sensitivity training.” [Huffington Post]
- A union for the largely-female hospitality industry in New York City changed their contract so that employees will earn $1 more each year for the next 10 years. [Gothamist]
- Former New York Times executive editor Jill Abramson will teach at Harvard University beginning in the fall. [MSNBC]
- Here’s “Orange Is The New Black” actress Diane Guerrero, who plays Martiza, talking about roles for Latinas. [ColorLines]
- The Library Of Congress tries to explain why so many poets laureate are old, white and male. [Think Progress]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.