The UK Strengthens Female Genital Mutilation Legislation
- A law in the UK punishing adults who carry out female circumcision (also called FGM or female genital mutilation) is being strengthened with a new amendment to include other adults, beyond British citizens and permanent residents, who take girls to be cut. The new legislation would punish “habitually resident” foreign citizens living in the UK with 14 years in prison. [Standard UK, Guardian UK]
- LEGO will launch a mini-figure set featuring three female LEGO people as a chemist, an astronomer and a paleontologist. The idea was submitted to the LEGO Ideas website by Dr. Ellen Kooijman, a geochemist. [BuzzFeed]
- On the rise of the (poor) stay-at-home dad and why moms still do most of the childrearing. [The Atlantic, Think Progress]
- Season two of “Orange Is The New Black” puts a focus on pregnancy in prison. [ColorLines]
- How conservative theology harms Black women. [Crunk Feminist Collective]
- A court in Montana has ordered that Judge G. Todd Baugh, who sentenced a former teacher to 31 days in jail for raping his 14-year-old, be suspended from the bench. [The Daily Beast]
- An elderly couple called a breastfeeding mother a “slut” and “disgusting” for breastfeeding her 11-month-old son in a south London coffee shop. [Standard UK]
- On Somaly Mam, a Cambodian anti-sex trafficking activist was found to have lied about aspects of her history, and the media’s treatment of sympathetic victims. [The Atlantic]
- A Congressional ban prevents the coverage of abortion for women serving in the Peace Corps, including victims of sexual assault who are impregnated by rape. [Glamour]
- Why the face of America’s overwhelmed immigration system is so often female. [New York Times]
- A man inside a London bar threw two drinks at two women after they ignored him. [London24]
- Jane Fonda was honored with a Life Achievement Award by the American Film Institute. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- The eight biggest lies about abortion debunked by “Obvious Child.” [Policy Mic]
- Yuri Kochiyama, a civil rights activist who was interned during World War II after the attack on Pearl Harbor, died at 93. [NPR]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.