Looking to host a stylish, personalized and unforgettable party, but not sure how to swing it? Enter celebrity party planner, Mindy Weiss. Mindy and her team have created one-of-a-kind shindigs for the likes of Fergie and Josh Duhamel, Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi, Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan-Tatum, and Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale, to name just a few. (If that’s not an impressive resumé, I don’t know what is.)
So how can you throw a memorable, unique party with professional touches? Mindy let me pick her brain about hosting a spring brunch, dinner party, casual barbecue, cocktail party and garden party. (Bonus: most of the items she relies on can be found at HomeGoods, which means they’re accessible and affordable for the non-A-list crowd, too!)
1. Trays For Tea: Add a beautiful-colored serving tray to your coffee table for tea and coffee service.
2. Fresh Florals: A tray placed on a bar is a great way to display beautiful glasses, or you can place a vase filled with fresh flowers on a lovely metallic tray in your kitchen or dining room. When the sun is out I love to have different trays on my garden tables filled with succulent plants.
3. Freshen Up With Color: Spring is in the air and it’s time for a lot of COLOR! Don’t be afraid to add pop to your party with fun, bright hues! Freshen up a couch with bold, patterned pillows, which is a great way to give your room a new look. Also, consider purchasing a bright dinner plate to go with your basic white dishes. That simple burst of color adds excitement to the table.
1. Experiment with Ombre: Put away your clear glass vases and bring in a mixture of colorful containers in different sizes! Three glass vases in varying shades of the same color sitting beside a fireplace or on your window ledge looks amazing.
2. Make Your Table Settings Pop With Multiple Runners: Purchase a fun, colored table runner for outdoor tables and a set of patterned napkins for a fresh look – or layer patterns!
3. Keep It Interesting With Moveable Seating: Ottomans are always a great idea when you want to make more seating available. Easy to carry and move around, and great for game night!
1. Plan a Picnic in Your Own Backyard: Surprise your guests by setting up an outdoor picnic area. Spread multi-colored throws, blankets even large quilts on your grass and add bright colored pillows. HomeGoods has a variety of prints and colors at such great prices that you can get a non-matchy assortment – the “eclectic look” is in!
2. A Plasticware Tip: Don’t forget to bring plastic dinnerware and glasses for your picnic! It not only illuminates weight in your baskets but there’s no breakage when a frisbee is thrown in the wrong direction!
3. Trays, Trays, Trays! Place fun trays on the blankets filled with guacamole and chips or bottles of water and glass-bottled soda pop.
1. Invest In A Bar Cart: Freshen up your bar by adding a bar cart to the area where your guests are gathering. The bar cart can be filled with alcoholic drinks for the partiers, or for an outdoor family event try beautiful pitchers of lemonade or iced lavender hibiscus tea. Recently, I took my bar cart and filled it will fun desserts that the guests could try at their leisure.
2. Sweeten Up Your Bar: Another favorite of mine is getting glass-lidded jars in a variety of sizes and creating a candy shop on your kitchen island, or the corner of a bar.
3. Sip In Style: Change up your bar glasses by adding new colored glassware to your collection! A dozen bright colors can change the whole look of your bar!
1. Bring The Indoors Out: I love using indoor-outdoor pillows, poufs and rugs as ways to make the outdoors feel homey, or you can just change up your garden bench by adding a colorful blanket or throw. When hosting guests at a dinner party al fresco, I like to drape soft throws on the backs of the chairs – that way everyone can easily cuddle up if they get cold!
2. Treat Yourself To Trays: If you are going to be passing out hors d’oeuvres or drinks to your guests, treat yourself to some new colorful trays. Not only are trays great for entertaining, but when your party is over, try using them in different rooms of your home.
3. Light Up The Garden With Lanterns: Lanterns placed throughout your outdoor area are always noticed! They can hang from gazebos or line the walkway into the party. For outdoor lanterns, I love using battery-powered candles as an alternative to regular candles… they look great and are safe, too!