Amanda Berry, Gina de Jesus & Michelle Knight Received Courage Awards For Their Bravery
- The three women who were freed after a decade-long ordeal as captives in a Cleveland home received the Ohio Governor John Kasich’s annual courage awards last night during his “State of the State” speech. During the ceremony, the crowd gave Amanda Berry, Gina de Jesus and Michelle Knight a two-minute standing ovation. Gov. Kasich praised their “story of three women who found an inner strength and a courage that brought them through and sustained them…No one rescued them, they rescued themselves—first by staying strong and by sticking together, and then by literally breaking out into freedom.” It was their first public appearance together since their escape. [ABC News, NBC News]
- Emails reveal that Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker reveal that he reportedly had a doctor fired from a Milwaukee medical center because she had modeled bikinis in the past. [Slate]
- According to a new study, women with the BRCA1 “breast cancer” gene — which Angelina Jolie brought into the news last spring — are now advised to have their ovaries removed by age 35. Jolie was also reportedly planning to have her ovaries removed, as she had a 50 percent risk of developing ovarian cancer. [CNN]
- Queers For Economic Justice, a New York-based group that supports poor and homeless queer folks, is shutting down due to lack of funding. [Autostraddle]
- Young women are more pessimistic than ever about the future and a whole lot of their “leaning out” seems to come from the endless stereotypes about unfulfilled ladies in the workforce. [Chicago Tribune]
- Why are there so few female directors? Some thoughts on the ever-present gender inequality in Hollywood. [Forbes]
- Piper Kerman, the woman whose real-life experience inspired “Orange Is The New Black,” continued her fight for prison reform by speaking to Congress today about the indignities of solitary confinement. [National Journal]
- Honda Motor has appointed a woman to its board for the first time-ever. [New York Times]
- Some stats on the gender gap in the publishing world. Hint: it’s giant. [Feministing]
- Two gang rapes have been reported at UC Santa Barbara in California in the past two months, as well as sexual assaults reported at Yale University in Connecticut this weekend. [Los Angeles Times, New York Times]
- How “Girls” explores entitlement, talent and failure. [Bitch Magazine]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.