It’s official. Frank and Claire Underwood are officially my favorite married couple currently on TV. “House of Cards”‘ calculating vice president (played by Kevin Spacey) and his powerful and beautiful wife (played by Robin Wright) are proof that the couple that lies, schemes and smokes together, stays together, by any means necessary. Netflix just debuted the second season of the Washington, D.C., drama over the weekend and if you’re as obsessed as I am, you’ve already finished watching all 13 episodes. By god, should I ever get married someday, please let my relationship be as committed and focused as this one. After all, the most successful and long lasting partnerships are between people who bring out the
good best in each other. Here’s a guide to how to have a completely non-traditional, sexy and ruthless marriage just like Frank and Claire Underwood. (Be warned: this post contains spoilers about season two.)
1. Be in love. It sounds obvious, but if Frank and Claire didn’t love each other more than anyone else, they would have nothing.
2. Feeling it isn’t enough. Make sure to say it to each other every once in awhile. Don’t take each other for granted.
3. Be on the same page about kids.
Like, really on the same page.
4. Carve out time just for the two of you, doing an activity you both love.
5. Share a vice. You’ve never been quitters, have you?
6. Have a common enemy (or enemies) and destroy them together.
7. Give each other the freedom to stray.
8. But don’t let outsiders forget that your marriage is unbreakable.
9. Don’t neglect date night or gestures of affection.
10. Spice things up at home. Try a new position, get a little kinky, or have a threesome with your dedicated bodyguard.
11. Celebrate special occasions, even if neither of you is really in the mood.
12. Help each other get ready for important events. No one should look better than the two of you.
13. Take the time to help each other unwind … even when what they have in mind is not your idea of a good time.
14. Be open and honest in all your communications, especially about the tough stuff.
Because when you work together as a team, the two of you can’t be stopped.