Oprah, the great television goddess and overall beacon of awesomeness, turned 60 on Wednesday. She’s still as fierce as ever, and I’m more than a little obsessed with her. She shared way-too-grown-up facts of life with me on my TV after school starting when I was in the single digits. She also taught me important stuff like what bra size to wear, what it’s like to sleep with Joey Buttafuoco and how to get out of debt. She made me cry a lot too. Here’s how to live like Oprah, even if you are broke and are most definitely not Oprah.
1. Have plenty of ah-ha moments.
2. When you start getting rich, bring your friends along for the ride like she did for Gayle, Dr. Oz, and Dr. Phil.
3. Shout a lot.
4. Be vulnerable like she is with her interviewees. People love that stuff.
5. Give away cars to everyone you know. And people you don’t know too. Just everyone.
6. Have a positive attitude and always be grateful for your awesome life!
7. Live your calling. Oprah says we all have our own that’s as special as a finger print. Even bees.
8. Stay true to your roots. When she hit the big time, Oprah could have moved her show’s production to LA or another larger city, but she chose to keep filming in Chicago because it’s where she got her start.
9. Don’t take no for an answer. Oprah was fired from an early job as a news anchor, but did she let that stop her?
10. Take responsibility for your life. As Oprah says, “my philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life, but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.”