Gun Manufacturer In India Exploits Rape Fears With New Purse-Sized Revolver
- A gun manufacturer in India has built a small revolver that can fit inside a purse in the hopes that women can use it if they’re about to be victims of a sexual attack. But it’s priced at around $2,000, meaning that only relatively wealthy Indian women will be able to protect themselves this way. Clearly the much more important thing to prioritize is changing men’s attitudes and behaviors towards women. [TIME]
- A judge in Oklahoma declared the state constitution’s ban on gay marriage unconstitutional yesterday. [Politico]
- Dencia, a dark-skinned Nigerian singer, released a skin whitening cream called “Whitenicious,” with photographs showing how lightened her own skin has become. She’s marketing the skin whitening cream as a “skincare product.” [Clutch Magazine]
- New Hampshire’s state senate has introduced a bill to create a 25-foot buffer zone outside clinics which provide abortions to protect patients from anti-abortion protesters. [RH Reality Check]
- Two women are suing the Los Angeles Police Department over an alleged sexual assault. [LA Times]
- Members of the Russian feminist punk band Pussy Riot — who were recently given amnesty from their prison sentences for “hooliganism” prior to the 2014 Sochi Olympics — returned to a penal colony to speak with inmates as part of a new campaign on behalf of prisoners’ rights. [Radio Free Europe]
- Sandwich chain Au Bon Pain apologized after they learned the Wifi network in their stores blocked information about family planning, gay rights, and abortion. [NYMag.com]
- Indonesian maids are Hong Kong’s modern-day slaves. [TIME, New York Times]
- No African-Americans, Hispanics or girls took the AP computer science exam in some states. [Clutch Magazine]
- A female professor at the Yale University School Of Management has filed a lawsuit claiming gender discrimination. [Yale Daily News]
- A Danish woman claimed she was gang raped by a group of Indian men when she stopped to ask for directions in New Delhi. [New York Times]
- Check out this Jewish feminist punk rock band, the Shondes! [Wall Street Journal]
- Female Afghani politician Noorzia Atmar lives in fear that she’ll be murdered for her advocacy on behalf of women’s rights. She now lives in exile, particularly afraid of her ex-husband’s family following their divorce. [Guardian UK]
- An open letter to CeCe McDonald following her release from a men’s prison. [JanetMock]
- 25 women poised to lead the culture in 2014. [Flavorwire]
Follow me on Twitter. Email me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.