“Orange Is The New Black” Actress Laverne Cox Teaches Katie Couric About Doing Interviews With Trans Women
- Transgender actress Laverne Cox, who plays Sophia, the trans woman on “Orange Is The New Black,” and model Carmen Carrera appeared yesterday on “Katie” and Katie Couric kept pushing the issue of their genitalia. Fast foward to 2 minutes and 45 seconds into this video where Laverne explains to Katie what focusing on transitions — the surgeries, the hormones — takes the attention away from the real issues that face trans folks every day: discrimination, violence, lack of legal protections. “By focusing on bodies, we don’t focus on the lived realities of that oppression and that discrimination,” she says. Well put. [Salon]
- Precious Adams, a 19-year-0ld ballerina, faces discrimination even while dancing for the Bolshoi Ballet Academy in Russia because she is Black. [Clutch Magazine]
- On MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry and the contrition complex. [New Yorker]
- The family of a 16-year-old girl in India who was gang raped and set on fire have met with the president demanding justice for police mishandling. [BBC]
- Martin Scorcese couldn’t think of one female filmmaker to celebrate in an open letter to his daughter about the future of cinema. [Flavorwire]
- Apple has vowed to find women and people of color for its board of directors. [Huffington Post]
- One lady explains why she teaches women self-defense. [The Hairpin]
- Four Hungarian men and one British women were found guilty of conspiring to traffick 50 women in the UK to work as sex workers. Many of the women were working as many as 12 hours a day to pay off their airfare from the initial flight from Hungary. [Guardian UK]
- On online harassment and the cruel paradox of being a woman on social media. [Flavorwire]
- Is Brandy Clark country music’s great lesbian hope? [AfterEllen]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.