Abbreviated Lady News today! Back to your regularly scheduled Lady News on Monday. Have a fab weekend!
- A U.S. District Court Judge has struck down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage, saying it violates the U.S. Constitution’s equal protection guarantee. [Gay Salt Lake]
- An open letter to white feminists on prisons, borders, safety and privilege. [AlterNet]
- You should definitely take the time to read through the #FreeMarisa hashtag on Twitter right now, which is advocating for the release of Marisa Alexander, who was sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot to scare off her abusive husband. [Twitter]
- Fact: Black women are twice as likely as white women to die from breast cancer — this New York Times article examines why that racial disparity exists and what’s being done about it. [NY Times]
- On cynicism, calling out, and creating movements that don’t leave people behind. [Feministing]