Gal Gadot: 5 Things To Know About Hollywood’s New Wonder Woman
Model and actress Gal Gadot is set to play the coveted role of Wonder Woman in “Man of Steel 2.” From the cover of the New York Post to a role in the “Fast and the Furious” franchise, the 28-year-old has definitely seen her share of exciting moments in the spotlight — but something tells me Wonder Woman will be her biggest moment yet. Here are a few things to know about the Israeli beauty:
1. Gadot was born and raised in Rosh HaAyin, Israel. When she was 20, she served in the Israeli Defense Forces as a sports trainer while continuing to model at the same time. She also took part in Maxim’s 2007 “Women of the Israeli Army” photo shoot. These days, she is a spokesmodel for the Israeli clothing line Castro. About her heritage, she says “I definitely have a strong sense of my Jewish and Israeli identity. I did my two year military service, I was brought up in a very Jewish, Israeli family environment, so of course my heritage is very important to me. I want people to have a good impression of Israel. I don’t feel like I’m an ambassador for my country, but I do talk about Israel a lot — I enjoy telling people about where I come from and my religion.”
2. In 2004, Gal won the Miss Israel title at age 19. After that, she represented Israel at the 2004 Miss Universe pageant in Ecuador. At Miss Universe, she was asked who besides her parents has had the most influence on her life. Her answer was Madonna, “a legend who started her career from scratch and now influences the whole world in terms of music and fashion. She successfully combines her huge career and a family of her own.” She also said she planned to become a lawyer one day, and that the best word to describe her was “friendliest.”
3. She loves motorcycles. She owns a 2006 Ducati Monster-S2R and put her riding skills to use in “Fast Five” on a Ducati Streetfighter S. She’s one of those select few ladies who can pull off that fabulous and surprisingly difficult hair-flip-while-taking-off-a-helmet move. In a scene from the movie, her character does exactly that after making an entrance on her motorcycle – and proceeds to shut down a guy’s creepy comment by making it clear that she is not to be messed with.
4. She was almost a Bond girl. Gal was considered for “Quantum of Solace” as a James Bond love interest. That didn’t stop her from starring alongside another heartthrob — the late Paul Walker. When her “Fast and the Furious” co-star passed away a last week, Gal wrote on Facebook that his death was “so sudden and tragic .. Hard to believe.. Paul was a great man with a big heart and passion for life. I’m so sad he’s no longer with us. Can’t believe I’m actually writing this … Rest in peace brother. We will miss you here.”
5. She’s a mom. Her adorable two-year-old daughter, Alma, has met celebrities like Vin Diesel — hey, having a famous mom has perks! Gal married Alma’s father, Israeli businessman Yaron Versano, in 2008. Gal has tweeted that she believes in “family above all.”