50 Little Truths That Will Make Your Life Easier (Just Accept Them)
As difficult as it is to admit, there are some things about life that will never change. Politicians will always do shady things. Your mom will always be slightly passive aggressive at the dinner table. Your feet will always hurt after an hour in high heels. Resist these truths if you want, but it’s futile. Life is so much easier when you accept the inevitable. Below are some things that you shouldn’t waste your energy fighting. The sooner you give in, the better. Trust us on this one.
1. People act weird in elevators.
2. Your parents will never stop annoying you.
3. Chicken soup does cure colds.
4. You should buy the size you wear and not the size you wish you wore.
5. Quick fixes and workarounds usually just make things worse.
6. Eating lots of junk food makes you feel like shit.
7. You sleep better with clean sheets and life makes more sense when you get enough sleep.
8. Women act like crazed wildebeests at sample sales.
9. You should call your grandparents even if you don’t feel like it.
10. Your partner will never be able to read your mind.
11. Public transportation brings out the worst in human nature.
12. Manicures chip.
13. You are going to get grey hairs.
14. Spring for the insurance coverage.
15. The chances of getting your period increase exponentially when you’re wearing white pants or when you’re about to go on vacation.
16. There are not too many things worth losing your shit over. Chill.
17. Even if you have a “dream job,” sometimes you’ll have to do stuff at work that you’re not excited about. That’s why it’s called work.
18. High heels hurt if you walk around in them too long; bring a change of shoes.
19. Starbucks coffee is not actually very good.
20. Your hair will look its best the day you have a hair appointment scheduled.
21. The things you get most annoyed/irritated about in other people are the things you hate about yourself.
22. Everything seems so much worse when you are tired or hungry.
23. Learn how to say thank you when someone gives you a compliment.
24. The coat you loved in college will come back in style in about 10 years, so you should probably save it.
25. Most people would rather have you just listen than try to fix all their problems.
26. Eventually, you won’t be able to stay up all night and go to work the next day.
27. Everybody poops.
28. Spend that extra $20 on a cab to the airport and an extra $100 to hire professional movers.
29. Pick a go-to hostess gift and buy it in bulk.
30. “I’m sorry” is a very powerful phrase.
31. You’re going to have to say no to things you really want to say yes to, and you’re going to have to say yes to things you really want to say no to.
32. Yes, you do have to floss if you want to keep your teeth.
33. Tipping is part of the price of eating out. Tip well.
34. People can only save themselves.
35. Sometimes love isn’t enough.
36. Eye cream, if used consistently, does help minimize wrinkles, but doesn’t prevent them.
37. Pick the things that you want to kick a fuss up about.
38. If someone treats you like shit once, they probably will again.
39. Save cards, letters and pictures from your childhood. You’ll want them someday.
40. At least make an attempt to face your issues and be self-reflective.
41. Forgive yourself for making poor decisions when it comes to your career or your love life, because you will.
42. Just forgive yourself, in general.
43. Learn how to cook at least one fabulous thing you can bring to a dinner party.
44. Kindness is always the path of least resistance.
45. Keep a journal, at least sometimes.
46. Find someone who understands how to cut your hair.
47. Be mindful about the way you spend your time, because all those minutes spent scrolling through Facebook add up to your life.
48. Accept people exactly as they are.
49. Being outwardly passionate attracts other outwardly passionate people.
50. Refusing to admit you’re wrong doesn’t make you right.