Today’s Lady News: ACLU Sues Catholic Bishops Over Abortion Policies At Hospitals
- The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit against Catholic bishops for denying medical care to women by refusing to provide the morning-after pill and perform abortions in their hospitals. In some counties, a Catholic hospital is the only place for a pregnant woman to receive medical care. Such was the situation for Tameska Means, the plaintiff in the lawsuit, who was exposed to dangerous infections after her water broke after only 18 weeks of pregnancy but Mercy Health Partners in Michigan did not even offer to induce labor or remove the fetus. Instead, Means suffered in pain until she miscarried, going to the hospital seeking help a total of three times. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops makes directives for medical care at Mercy Health Partners. [New York Times]
- President Obama revealed a $100 million research initiative to find a cure for HIV at the National Institutes of Health. [AP]
- Michigan will consider legislation that will require women to pay additional fees to insurance companies for coverage for abortion. [Reuters]
- Why more women are coming forward about their sexual assaults than ever before. [BuzzFeed]
- Ugh, PETA. I just can’t. [Jezebel]
- Most female journalists have been threatened, assaulted or harassed at work, but don’t talk about about it over fear it will wreck their careers. [Slate]
- 18-year-old Jamisha Gilbert is missing from Lynchburg, Virginia. Find out more details about her at the link. [Clutch Magazine]
- Chinatown in New York City has a new restaurant called the Maid Cafe, where the Asian women who work there wear cosplay maid outfits. [NYU Local]
- You’re going to want to move to Denmark immediately after reading why it’s so great for working families. [Guardian UK]
- From Anne Hathaway to Jennifer Lawrence, must every once-beloved actress face a backlash? [The Wire]
- Judy Rodgers, chef at San Francisco’s iconic Zuni Cafe, has died at 57. [LA Times]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.