Gloria Steinem, Oprah Winfrey Receive The Presidential Medal Of Freedom
- Gloria Steinem and Oprah Winfrey both received the Presidential Medal of Freedom today from President Barack Obama at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. Ironically, Steinem was the first-ever woman to speak at the Club in 1971 and, at the time, was given the traditional gift of a men’s tie. [Ms Magazine, Marie Claire]
- The Supreme Court refused to block a restriction on Texas abortions. [New York Times]
- An Alabama woman has spoken out about the sentencing of her rapist, Austin Clem, who received no jail time despite being convicted of three rape charges, including raping her when she was only 13. [New York Times]
- The General Synod of the Church of England voted to allow women to be bishops. [Guardian UK]
- Do anorexia memoirs teach young women how to have the eating disorder? [NYmag.com]
- On the Museum of Modern Art’s woman problem. [NYmag.com]
- Why Philippines typhoons disproportionately kill baby girls. [The Atlantic Cities]
- On the deportation of transgender women to Mexico, one of the most dangerous places in the world to be trans. [WomensENews]
- A new campaign is encouraging women in Afghanistan to participate in the next election. [Feminist.org]
- On the feminism of Doris Lessing, the Nobel Prize-winning author of The Golden Notebook who passed away this weekend. [Random House]
- Planned Parenthood has nine different apps for all of your sexual questions. [Em & Lo]
- Childrens’ book author Barbara Park, who wrote the Junie B. Jones series, died at 66. [Huffington Post]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter.
[Image via Getty]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.