Trans Woman Banned From L.A. Gym’s Women’s Locker Room
- Yanel Valenzuela of California told a gym trainer that she is a transgender woman, hoping to get an exercise routine tailored to her health needs. But instead, she alleges, the trainer shared that information with others and an L.A. Fitness manager barred Valenzuela from using the women’s locker room entirely. They realize she’s a woman and doesn’t belong in the men’s locker room, right? This is grossly discriminatory against trans folks and completely inappropriate. [Queerty, Huffington Post]
- This piece about an Oklahoma couple’s struggle to terminate a pregnancy after they discovered the fetus has severe birth defects is incredibly sad. This is how taking away women’s reproductive rights affects poor families. [MSNBC]
- The Cutting Season author Attica Locke has won the Ernest J. Gaines Award for Literary Excellence, a $10,000 literary prize for African-American writers. [Clutch Magazine]
- The web site She’s A Homewrecker is all kinds of come-the-fuck-on. [Huffington Post]
- Why is Russia taking DNA samples from conservative Muslim women before the 2014 Olympics? [Al-Jazeera]
- Just a reminder that most women work because they have to, not because they’re “trying to be men.” [Slate]
- On safe spaces in progressive environments. [The Toast]
- A third-year law student at Wayne State University (and mother of three) named Tiane Brown was found dead in Detroit. So terrible. [Madame Noire]
- Frisky contributor Amanda Chatel on why she and her soon-to-be-husband are not using the terms “husband and wife,” either. [Huffington Post]
- Harvard University is taking steps to be more inclusive to LGBTQ students. [Harvard Crimson]
- A high school teacher in Fairfield, Connecticut, has been arrested and charged with 17 counts of second-degree sexual assault after a relationship with an underage student. [Fairfield Citizen-News]
- Why aren’t there more female libertarians? [New Republic]
- Check out this new small literary press which publishes fiction by women. [Inside Higher Ed]
- On the gender pay gap in academia. [The Atlantic Wire]
- It’s the 35th anniversary of the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, which prohibited employment discrimination due to childbirth or pregnancy. [National Women’s Law Center]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.