Austin Judge Begins Hearing Arguments Against Texas Abortion Law
- Today, a district court judge in Austin began hearing arguments over parts of the restrictive new abortion laws in Texas that were enacted this summer. The court is hearing about the provisions which only permit physicians to dispense the abortion pill and requires all doctors who terminate pregnancies to have admitting privileges at local hospitals. Today, a doctor testified on behalf of Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union. The restrictive law is expected to go into effect on October 29. [Austinist; Bloomberg]
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has dropped his legal challenge to the NJ Supreme Court over its ruling that the state must recognize same-sex marriages. Following the ruling last week, NJ officials began marrying gay couples after midnight this morning. Christie, a purported contender for the 2016 presidential election, opposes gay marriage. [CNN]
- On Marissa Alexander and how the legal system can abuse domestic violence survivors. [Bitch Magazine]
- Comedienne Carol Burnett received the nation’s top humor prize, the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on Sunday. [Entertainment Week]
- A Black lesbian Detroit pastor has stepped down after revealing she has been married for five years to a woman. [Clutch Magazine]
- Will Coca-Cola, a huge sponsor of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, condemn the country’s discriminating laws against gays? [World Of Wonder]
- Check out how 3D printing is making umbilical cord clamps in Haiti to help women in childbirth. [MakeZine]
- A third woman has been sexually assaulted at the University of British Columbia in as many weeks. [The Ubyssey]
- Women don’t commit as much corporate crime as men do. Yay, I guess? [Washington Post]
- Meanwhile, the glass ceiling in central banking is slowly starting to crack. [Think Progress]
- Turkey’s first online “halal sex shop” is open for business. [Raw Story]
- On the cold reaction to sexual harassment in journalism. [Jezebel]
- A Black man writes about giving up his “colorblind feminism.” [Youngist]
- Women picked up all the major acting awards this weekend at the UK Theater Awards. [Guardian UK]
- Men have biological clocks, too, so why do we ignore male infertility? [The Atlantic]
- On Jennifer Baumgardner’s documentary “It Was Rape.” [Ms. Magazine]
[Image via Getty]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.