New Jersey To Issue Licenses For Same-Sex Couples On Monday!
- New Jersey’s Supreme Court has ruled that the state must start issuing same-sex marriage licenses beginning on Monday. Last month, an NJ judge ruled the state must recognize gay marriages now that the federal government does. NJ will become the 14th state to recognize gay marriage, plus D.C. Congrats, everybody getting married because of this wonderful news! [NBC News]
- A Catholic school in Arkansas fired a lesbian teacher who had worked at the school for 15 years after she married her partner. [Jezebel]
- Juana Villegas, an immigrant who was forced to give birth in shackles while in detention, has won a settlement from the city of Nashville. [Colorlines]
- Here’s another fantastic response to the Slate/Emily Yoffe article about teenaged girls, drinking and rape. [Salon]
- Meanwhile, here is a response today by Yoffe to her critics. [Slate]
- An attorney who has represented unwilling porn victims/revenge porn victims offers his perspective. [Talking Points Memo]
- Here’s how the African country of Ghana is fighting to cut maternal mortality by three-fourths before 2015. [AllAfrica]
- This story about an obviously mentally ill man who raped an 11-year-old girl because she was Black is horrible. [Raw Story]
- Kansas has suspended the law license of former attorney general Phill Kline, a major anti-abortion crusader, for alleged “significant and numerous” violations as a lawyer. [RH Reality Check]
- Some cuckoo in the Tea Party wants to file a “class action lawsuit” of heterosexuals against homosexuals. [Talking Points Memo]
- On how the gender equality movement on “Saturday Night Live” left black women out. [Salon]
- Ten female filmmakers to follow on Twitter. [IndieWire]
- This piece about whether feminism is unpopular because of “bad marketing” has peeps all kinds of upset. [Al Jazeera]
- Maxine Powell, who operated an in-house finishing school for the artists with Motown Records, died at 98. [New York Times]
Email me at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter.