Labor Department: Minimum Wage For Home Care Workers — But Not Mary Poppins!
- The Labor Department announced it will expand protections for home care workers, a predominantly female and woman of color workforce that includes eldercare aides. These types of “companionship” domestic workers will now be guaranteed minimum wage and overtime pay. Babysitters, however, are still exempt from these pay protections. [New York Times, Think Progress]
- On the science around “fetal pain” and abortion. [New York Times]
- On the suicide of Audrie Pott, a 15-year-old girl who committed suicide after pictures of her rape were posted online. [Rolling Stone]
- The memoir, The Girl: A Life In The Shadow Of Roman Polanski, by Samantha Geimer, who was raped by the filmmaker as a teen, doesn’t let him off the hook. [Flavorwire]
- This dickface allegedly beat up his girlfriend when she said she was too sick to have sex. [Raw Story]
- Here’s trans blogger and activist Janet Mock on how society shames men for dating trans women and treats them like either a fetish or a joke. [JanetMock.com]
- RIP Society: a 12-year-old girl was allegedly gang raped by five minor boys ages 12 to 16 in India. [Times Of India]
- On the sexual harassment of women in the Afghani police force. [New York Times]
- New South Wales in Australia is set to debate “Zoe’s law,” which would criminalize abortion by legally defining a fetus as a “person,” on Thursday. [Guardian UK]
Follow me on Twitter. Email me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com.