8-Year-Old “Child Bride” Dies On Wedding Night
- An eight-year-old girl in Yemen, who was married to a 40-year-old man, died from rape-related injuries on her wedding night. The girl, who was called Rawan, died from severe internal bleeding and uterine rupturing. Although child marriage was criminalized in Yemen in 2009, it was later overturned by conservatives who said it went against Islamic teaching. There are numerous calls for Rawan’s family and so-called “husband” to be arrested. [Guardian UK, New York Daily News]
- Disgusting: sororities at the University of Alabama still won’t rush black women. [Jezebel]
- Why telling street harassers “no” doesn’t necessarily work for everybody and can even be dangerous. [xoJane]
- Why didn’t women vote for Christine Quinn in yesterday’s New York City primary election? [Slate]
- Here’s one for the law students: on gender and intellectual property law. [Jacobin Mag]
- The Daily Beast editor-in-chief Tina Brown has left the country and is starting her own media company, Tina Brown Live Media. [MediaBistro]
- Can “Juno” actress Ellen Page save the female-fronted comic book movie? [After Ellen]
- Roughly one in four men in parts of Asia admitted to raping a woman, according to a new study of sexual violence in Asia. [Talking Points Memo]
- On using femininity as punishment in the Middle East. [WomensENews]
- A 12-year-old trans boy in the UK has been stopped by his doctor from taking hormone blockers to prevent puberty, despite having lived as a boy since age five. [LGBTQ Nation]
- Jhumpa Lahiri is just one of several women novelists shortlisted for the UK’s prestigious Booker Prize. [Huffington Post]
- Is a new police fitness test in the UK sexist? [Independent UK]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.