Alabama Republican Is Trying To Ban Toni Morrison’s The Bluest Eye From Schools
- Alabama State Senator Bill Holtzclaw, under pressure from the Tea Party, is trying to remove The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison’s harrowing Nobel Prize-winning book about a young African-American girl, from schools because it contains scenes of sexual assault, which conservative Tea Party members argue is “child pornography.” They want to ban the book from schools because they believe that the federal government should have no say in what specific books make it onto state reading lists, and they object to both the content and “graphic language” in Morrison’s award-winning book. Oh brother. [The Atlantic]
- Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas received a $1 million donation from the Ross Perot Foundation. Margot Perot’s statement reads: “For nearly 100 years Planned Parenthood has helped to educate men and women regarding family planning and general family health. Our family has supported this nonprofit for many years because we are impressed with the work they do — providing birth control; scientifically based education; breast health exams; and basic, life-saving healthcare for women who cannot afford services otherwise.” [Huffington Post]
- A father in Texas beat his daughter’s molester to death and he won’t be charged with any crime, thanks to a law in that state that allows for deadly force to be used to prevent aggravated sexual assault. [ABC News]
- You’ve heard that women make .77 cents for every dollar a man makes? Well, that’s not exactly true. [Slate]
- Members of the Texas State Health Services declined to vote on Rick Perry’s anti-abortion bill. The bill’s already made its way through the state Senate, so the measure was largely symbolic, but all but one of the eight-member council stood down. The council exists largely in an advisory, not rule-making capacity. [RH Reality Check]
- Why aren’t campus sex offenders being punished? [Policy Mic]
- The federal tax system is going to recognize same-sex couples on a federal level, even if their home states won’t. The ruling “assures legally married same-sex couples that they can move freely throughout the country knowing that their federal filing status will not change,” explained Treasury Secretary Jack Lew in a statement. [Talking Points Memo]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.