Weekend Shut-In Worksheet: Watch “Bunheads,” Make Monkey Milk & Listen To The Julie Ruin
Activities are wonderful, but sometimes, it’s fine to want to shut the world out for a couple of days, and make some serious time for you. Don’t be afraid of FOMO, either. There will always be another party, another pub crawl, another picnic. The time you’ll spend indulging in the things you want to do, alone, are well worth it. Here’s a handy list of awesome things to do this weekend!
- If you’re a fan of dancing, complicated, messy and realistic female characters or just really miss the quippy, rapid-fire dialogue of “Gilmore Girls” in its prime, then I highly suggest you check out Amy Sherman-Palladino’s second show Bunheads. Sadly, this was cancelled after the second season, but the first season is available to watch streaming on ABC Family’s site, and it is soothing, absorbing, and wonderful.
- “Breaking Bad” premieres tonight and I honestly could not be more excited to see where and how the ridiculous journey of Walter White ends. If you want to get caught up on the first half of season five, it looks like Netflix added them all recently, so get in there and get ready. If you somehow have not seen this monumental show, do me a solid and watch, ASAP.
- Something about the idea of housesitting has always enchanted me. Perhaps it’s the idea of taking on someone else’s life for a little while, living in an established home that’s not mine, or maybe it’s because it seems like a kind of glamorous, nomadic thing you do, along with teaching the harp and pottery classes. There’s a really nice, meditative piece in Guernica about this very subject which you can find right here.
- Hothouse: The Art of Survival And The Survival of Art at America’s Most Celebrated Publishing House Farrar, Straus, and Giroux is a big, dishy history of one of America’s most progressive and influential publishing houses. FSG is home to many renowned authors, including Joan Didion and Jonathan Franzen, and this book looks to deliver tons of dirt on post-war American literature and all its characters. I’m picking this up this weekend for sure.
- We could all stand to not spend money on things like magazines and Heath bars and crappy salads from Chop’t. That’s why I’m going attempt to follow this charming food blogger’s lead and make my own adorable salads in mason jars for lunch next week. I have my doubts that the dressing doesn’t make the lettuce and other things desperately soggy, but I’ll find out.
- This is called monkey milk, which made me alternately amused and uncomfortable, but it looks to be pretty ok — banana flavored milk + chocolate flavored milk, frozen into some sort of chocolate banana flavored slushie. I am woefully lactose-intolerant, but I imagine you could tinker with this recipe and make it with soy or almond milk too.
- Excuse me, what? The Julie Ruin, Kathleen Hanna’s other other band (besides Bikini Kill and Le Tigre) has a new song out, called “Ha Ha Ha”? YES PLEASE.